Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Webb (Cork)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Webb (Cork) John Webb, son of John Webb, a Cork merchant, entered Trinity College, Dublin, in 1788, aged 17 and was awarded LL.B and LL. D in 1805. In 1805 Reverend John Webb of Cork married Miss Foot, daughter of Alderman Foot of Cork city. In 1796 Esther Webb married Francis Roche of Rochemount, county Cork. She was the daughter of John Webb and sister to Reverend John Webb LL.D of The Hill and Rosanna, county Cork. In December 1824 Reverend Dr John Webb married Johanna Waggett, daughter of Parker Dunscombe and they had two sons - John McDonnell Webb, born 1825, and Randal Webb, born 1832. Griffith's Valuation records the representatives of Reverend John Webb holding land in the parishes of Aghabulloge, barony of East Muskerry, and St Marys Shandon, barony of Cork. In the 1870s Anne Webb of Rosanna owned 78 acres, the representatives of Reverend John Webb of Cork owned 314 acres, John McDonnell Webb of the Hill, Douglas, owned 76 acres and the representatives of Randal Webb, Rosanna, owned 85 acres in county Cork.
Webb (Quarterstown) At the time of Griffith's Valuation Robert Webb held land in the parishes of Castletownroche, barony of Fermoy [and Templeusque, barony of Barrymore], county Cork. Grove White writes that Robert Webb, a member of the Castletownroche family, purchased Quarterstown house and demesne in 1868. In the 1870s Robert Webb of Quartertown Mills, Mallow, owned 371 acres in county Cork.
Webb (Murragh) George Webb from Cambridgeshire settled in county Laois in the mid 18th century. His eldest son, Reverend Richard Webb, was rector of Ringrone, near Kinsale, county Cork and in 1793 married Eliza Browne of Kinsale. They had two sons, Reverend Richard Webb, rector of Caheragh and also of Dunderrow, county Cork and Reverend John Beaver Webb, born 1803, rector of Dunderrow. Richard married Mary Beamish of the Mount Beamish family and in 1843 John married Maria, sister of Robert Maxwell of Islandmore, county Limerick. They had five children and he died in 1852. The Reverend J.B. Webb was among the principal lessors in the parish of Murragh, barony of Kinalmeaky, county Cork, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. The Reverend J.B. Webb owned almost 700 acres in the county in the 1870s. In 1878, over 900 acres of his estate in the barony of Kinalmeaky, as well as property in the town of Kinsale, were offered for sale in the Land Judges' Court. The sale notice indicates that the lands at Newcestown, barony of Kinalmeaky, had been purchased from the Riversdale family in 1841. Over 700 acres in Kinalea barony, the property of Richard Webb, Robert Heard and members of the Green family, was offered for sale in the Landed Estates Court in August 1876 and again in January 1877. Richard Webb of Kinsale is recorded as the owner of over 300 acres in county Cork in 1873 while Mrs Webb of Kinsale owned 148 acres.
Roche (Rochemount) This branch of the Roche family of county Cork was descended from Edmond, second son of Edward Roche of Trabolgan and his wife, Catherine Lavallin. Edmond, by his wife Barbara Hennessy, had two sons, the eldest, Edmond of Kildinan was grandfather of the 1st Baron Fermoy. In 1796 Edmond's second son, Francis of Rochemount, married Esther Webb and they had two sons, Francis James and John Webb of Rochemount. At the time of Griffith's Valuation John W. Roche held land in the parishes Monanimy, barony of Fermoy, Templeusque, barony of Barrymore, Cloyne, Titeskin and Corkbeg, barony of Imokilly. In July 1853 the estate of John Webb Roche at Ballindinisk and Pouladown, over 800 acres in the barony of Barrymore, was advertised for sale. In April 1856 his estate in the baronies of Fermoy and Imokilly was advertised for sale. This estate amounted to 3265 acres in total. The original lease of Cloughbolly or Nagle's Mountain in the barony of Fermoy was from Hugh Millerd to Francis Roche in 1775. The lands in the barony of Imokilly were held on a lease from Edward Roche to Francis Roche dated 1770. The Freeman's Journal reported that two lots were purchased by Mr. Smith and a third, in trust, by Mr. Kilt. Rochemount itself was again advertised for sale in July 1857.