Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Purcell (Rathmaher, Co Cork)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Purcell (Rathmaher, Co Cork) Denroche was a name associated with Cork city in the late 18th century. The Purcells of Rathmaher, parish of Castlemagner, barony of Duhallow, county Cork, were a junior branch of the Purcells of Burton Park, near Buttevant, county Cork. John Purcell of Rathmaher was the second son of Sir John Purcell of Highfort, county Cork and younger brother of the Reverend Mathew Purcell of Burton Park. Charles Denroche Purcell lived at Rathmaher in the first half of the 19th century. In May 1850 almost 800 acres of Charles D. Purcell's estate was advertised for sale including Rathmaher and Woodpark. In November 1851 the rental of the fee simple estate of Charles Denroche Purcell deceased, continued in the name of Richard Purcell, was advertised for sale. This estate was situated at Knockacreagh (173 acres), Dromcolliher, barony of Upper Connello, county Limerick and 9,676 acres in the baronies of Duhallow, Imokilly, Fermoy, Orrery and Kilmore and East Muskerry, county Cork. The Freeman's Journal reported details of the purchasers. At the time of Griffith's Valuation the representatives of Charles D. Purcell held an estate in the parishes of Clonfert, Drumtarriff, Ballyclogh, Knocktemple, Cullen, Drishane and Kilmeen while Charles Purcell is recorded as holding land in the parishes of Castlemagner and Kilshannig, all in the barony of Duhallow. Charles D. Purcell, no address given, owned 175 acres in the 1870s.