Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Boyle (Earl of Shannon)

Family title

Earl of Shannon


Estate(s)

Name Description
Boyle (Earl of Shannon) Henry Boyle, a descendent of Richard Boyle, first Earl of Cork, was created Earl of Shannon, baron of Castlemartyr and Viscount Boyle of Bandon in 1756. The Earls of Shannon, whose seat was at Castlemartyr, county Cork, owned over 11,000 acres in the county in the 1870s. The "Ladies Boyle", resident in Courtmacsherry, owned over 7000 acres between them at the same time. The estate was among the principal lessors in the parishes of Ballymodan, Desert, Kilgarriff, Kilnagross and Templebryan in East Carbery, Abbeymahon, Island and Lislee, barony of Ibane & Barryroe and Tracton, barony of Kinalea, Ballyoughtera, Bohillane, Cloyne, Ightermurragh and Mogeely, barony of Imokilly, Clonmeen, barony of Duhallow, Shandrum, barony of Orrery and Kilmore, all in county Cork, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. At the same time, the estate held townlands in the parish of Kilwatermoy, barony of Coshmore and Coshbride, county Waterford. In 1852, over 5000 acres of the Cork estate, including large portions of Bandon town, and 1400 acres of the Waterford estate were offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court.
Pratt (Co Cork) In the mid 19th century members of the Pratt family of Gawsworth, county Cork, held lands in the parishes of Ightermurragh, Mogeely, Titeskin and Killeagh, barony of Imokilly, county Cork. Some of the Pratt land was held from the Earl of Shannon. In 1815 Major Henry Pratt of Sundays Well, Cork married Sarah daughter of Richard Fitton of Gawsworth. The 1876 return of landowners records Charles Pratt of Carrigrohane owning 934 acres, Richard Pratt of Kinsale owning 525 acres, Robert Pratt of Gawsworth owning 2,870 acres [Hussey gives a figure of 4716 acres for Robert] and Sarah Pratt of Sundays Well owning 870 acres in the county.