Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Meade

Family title

Earl of Clanwilliam


Estate(s)

Name Description
Meade A family of Gaelic extraction located originally in county Cork, who by the mid 18th century held large estates in the Golden Vale barony of Clanwilliam, county Tipperary following the purchase of some of the Ormonde estate. In 1765 Sir John Meade, 3rd Baronet of Ballintober (near Kinsale), married the heiress Theodosia, daughter of Robert Hawkins Magill of Gill Hall, Gilford, county Down. Thereafter the Meades were largely based in county Down. In 1766 Sir John was created Viscount Clanwilliam and in 1776 Earl of Clanwilliam. Due to mounting debts the Earl of Clanwilliam's estates in Cos Tipperary and Cork were all sold by the early 19th century. In 1787 Ballintober was sold to a cousin the Reverend John Meade, who was succeeded by his nephew.
Meade (Cork) This family was related to the Meades, Earls of Clanwilliam. In 1787 the Reverend John Meade, Rector of Ballymartle, near Kinsale, county Cork, bought the estates of Ballymartle and Ballintober from his cousin John, 1st Earl of Clanwilliam. His nephew, Reverend Richard Meade, succeeded to the Ballymartle estate and another nephew, John, succeeded to the Ballintober estate. Reverend John Meade held townlands in the parish of Templemichael, barony of Kinalea, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. William R. Meade was among the principal lessors in the parish of Ballymartle at the same time. He was the proprietor of over 1100 acres in the 1870s while John Meade of Ballintober owned 982 acres.