Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Gavin (Kilpeacon)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Villiers (Kilpeacon & Beech Hill) The Reverend Fitzgerald in a footnote in his book gives an account of the owners of Kilpeacon, county Limerick. The castle was originally the property of Sir William King. As he had no direct heirs it passed to his grand nephews Richard and Edward Villiers who also died childless. The property then passed to their nephew Joseph Crips of Edwardstown, who took the name Villiers. Edward Villiers the proprietor in the 1820s was his grandson. In the early 1840s the whole parish of Kilpeacon was held by the representatives of Edward Villiers. In the mid 19th century Edward Cripps Villiers owned an estate in the parishes of Kilpeacon, baronies of Smallcounty and Pubblebrien and Ballycahane and Crecora, barony of Pubblebrien, county Limerick. His county Limerick estate, which included houses in the city of Limerick, plus a fee farm rent on lands in county Clare and some land in county Kilkenny were first advertised for sale in July 1850. Kilpeacon was sold to Major George Gavin. Edward C. Villiers appears to have bought the Beech Hill estate, parish of Grange, barony of Kilconnell, in county Galway, at this time. He was in possession of the Beech Hill estate in 1855. In the 1870s Edward C. Villiers estate in county Galway amounted to over 500 acres and his representatives owned 118 acres in county Limerick. In 1906 Villiers was in possession of almost 500 acres of untenanted demesne land at Grange including Beech Hill House valued at £26.
Gavin (Kilpeacon) Lands held by Gore Henry Hughes and James Butler Hughes from Michael Gavin were advertised for sale in February 1852 under an order of the Court dated 23 October 1850 see ''The Irish Jurist'' Vol 3 (1851), p. 152. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Michael Gavin held land in the parishes of St Nicholas, barony of Clanwilliam, county Limerick and Relickmurry & Athassel, barony of Clanwilliam, county Tipperary. In the 1870s Major George Gavin of Kilpeacon House owned 738 acres in county Limerick while the representatives of Captain Michael Gavin of Barrington Street, Limerick owned 145 acres in county Limerick and 907 acres in county Tipperary. The estate of Captain Michael Gavin deceased in the barony of Clanwilliam, county Tipperary and in the South Liberties of Limerick city was advertised for sale by the trustees of the Captain's will in January 1877. Major George Gavin had bought Kilpeacon from the Commissioners for the sale of Encumbered Estates in the 1850s. Major George O'Halloran Gavin was the son of Michael Gavin of Limerick and his wife Margaret O'Halloran and he married Jane daughter of Montiford Westropp of Mellon. He was a Major in the 16th Lancers and Liberal Member of Parliament for Limerick. The Major died in 1880. One of his sons Montiford Westropp Gavin, born 1858, played cricket for Ireland in 1890 and died at Kilpeacon in 1922.