Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Creed


Estate(s)

Name Description
Creed In 1837 Lewis refers to the flour mills owned by Mr Creed at Kilmallock, county Limerick. At the time of Griffith's Valuation William and Francis Creed held land in the parishes of Tankardstown and Uregare, barony of Coshma, county Limerick. Charles Creed also held land from the Tuthills at Ballinstona North, parish of Uregare. In the 1870s William Creed of Mount Street, Dublin, owned 430 acres in the county. The Honourable Mr Justice James Creed Meredith K.C., LL.D. (1875 - 1942) President of the Irish Supreme Court, Chief Judicial Commissioner of Ireland was a descendant of James Creed of Uregare. The Creed family also held property in counties Cork and Louth. In the mid 19th century Emily Creed held land in the parish of Knockmourne, barony of Barrymore, county Cork. Charles Creed of Ballymurphy, Fermoy, owned 526 acres in county Cork in the 1870s. At the same time Richard Creed of Cloyne House, Cloyne, owned 370 acres in county Cork and 891 acres in county Tipperary.
Meredith (Whitechurch) Richard Martin Meredith, son of Ralph Meredith, bought the townland of Slievedotia, parish of Whitechurch, barony of Barretts, county Cork in 1857 [from Thomas E. Crooke]. He married Adelaide Creed and they were the grandparents of James Creed Meredith (1875-1942), a distinguished Irish judge of the early 20th century. In the 1870s James Creed Meredith of Dublin owned 38 acres in county Cork