Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Massy (Ballywire)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Massy (Ballywire) John Bolton Massy (1785-1871) was the son of Robert Compton Bolton of Brazille Castle, Swords, county Dublin and his wife Elizabeth Rosetta Massy, daughter of the 1st Baron Massy. He was also a grandson of one of the daughters and co heiresses of Abraham Green of Ballymacreese, county Limerick. He took the name of Massy when he inherited the estate of his grand uncle, Honourable John Massy, third son of the 1st Baron Massy. At the time of Griffith's Valuation John B. Massey held a townland in the parishes of Ludden and Cahernelly, barony of Clanwilliam and in Abington, barony of Owneybeg, county Limerick and in the parishes of Clonbeg and Relickmurry and Athassel, barony of Clanwilliam, county Tipperary. In the 1870s John Bolton Massy of Ballywire, county Tipperaray owned 2,259 acres in county Limerick and 903 acres in county Dublin. http://www.bomford.net/IrishBomfords/Chapters/Chapter15/massydawson_and_poore_pedigrees.htm