Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Stanley

Family title

Earl of Derby


Estate(s)

Name Description
Erasmus Smith Schools, Governors (Munster) In 1666 Erasmus Smith, a London alderman and philanthropist, was granted 21,067 acres in county Tipperary and 12,596 acres in county Louth, with about 500 acres in the barony of Coonagh, county Limerick and 300 acres in county Meath under the Cromwellian land settlement. Some of this land was used to support his schools but an estate in county Tipperary remained in his own hands and was later inherited by his granddaughters Dorothy and Lucy Smith who married respectively John Barry and Lord Strange (Stanley) in the mid 18th century. Other lands in counties Galway and Limerick were granted to the trustees for the charity of Erasmus Smith in 1667 and in counties Tipperary and Limerick in 1669. At the time of Griffith's Valuation estates in the parishes of Grean, Ballynaclogh and Doon, barony of Coonagh, county Limerick and Cordangan, Corroge and Solloghodbeg, barony of Clanwilliam, Clogher, barony of Kilnamanagh Lower, Moyaliff, barony of Kilnamanagh Upper, county Tipperary, were held by the Governors or Trustees of the Erasmus Smith Schools. The county Limerick estate amounted to 4,279 acres and the county Tipperary estate to 2,903 acres in the 1870s. http://www.ancestryireland.com/hip_statutes.php?filename=3.6
Stanley Thomas P. Power writes how the Stanleys acquired their Irish estates through the marriage, in 1747, of Lucy, daughter of Hugh Smith, son of Erasmus Smith, to James, Lord Strange, son of the 11th Earl of Derby. James and Lucy's son, Edward, succeeded his grandfather as 12th Earl of Derby in 1776. Lucy's sister Dorothy married John Barry, a younger son of the 4th Earl of Barrymore, and the Smith county Tipperary estate was divided in 1755, the Smith Barrys obtaining 4,908 acres and the Stanleys 6,108 acres. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Lord Stanley held two townlands Cooga Upper and Lower, over 800 acres in the parish of Doon, barony of Coonagh, county Limerick. His agent was Thomas Bolton. The National Library of Ireland holds a map of "Coogey", bordered by the townland of Bilbao, dated 1834 but the name of the proprietor is not recorded. This property was bought by Valentine O'Brien O'Connor in the second half of the 19th century [1873] as a report on the provisions of his will published in the ''New Zealand Tablet'' (7 Huitanguru [Sept]1874) states that an annuity of £5,000 was charged on the estate he bought from the Earl of Derby. In the mid 19th century Lord Stanley's county Tipperary estate was in the parishes of Railstown, St Johnbaptist and St Patricksrock, barony of Middlethird and Emly, Kilfeakle, Shronell and Tipperary but mainly in the parish of Solloghodmore, all in the barony of Clanwilliam.
O'Connor/O'Connor-Henchy This O'Connor family had links with the O'Connor Donelan family of Sylaun, county Galway. In 1796 Valentine O'Connor married Mary, daughter of David Henchy of Rockfield, Blackrock, county Dublin, son of John Henchy of Cratloe, county Clare. Their second son, David, lived at Stonebrook, county Kildare and assumed the additional name of Henchy. At the time of Griffith's Valuation O'Connor Henchy held land in the parish of Graystown, barony of Middlethird, county Tipperary. In 1850 David married Elizabeth, daughter of Sir John Burke, baronet, of Marble Hill, county Galway and in 1887, their son Hugh, married Virginia, only daughter of Andrew Browne of Moyvilla Castle, county Galway. In the 1870s David O'Connor Henchy of Stonebrook, Ballymore Eustace, county Kildare, owned 1,090 acres in county Kildare. Valentine O'Brien O'Connor, the third son of Valentine and Mary O'Connor, lived at Rockfield, county Dublin and also had a residence at Ballykisteen, county Tipperary. In the 1870s he is recorded as owning 837 acres in county Limerick and 78 acres in county Dublin. According to the ''New Zealand Tablet'' (7 Huitanguru [Sept]1874) he bought this property from the Earl of Derby as the newspaper states that an annuity of £5,000 for his wife was charged on the estate under the provisions of his will. He died in September 1873 and was succeeded by his fourth son, William, of Ballykisteen, county Tipperary, who owned 6,178 acres in county Tipperary in the mid 1870s and died childless in 1898.
Dawson Thomas Dawson was created Baron Cremorne in 1797. In the 18th century he owned an estate in county Waterford, as well as estates in counties Monaghan and Armagh. He was succeeded in 1813 by his great nephew, Richard Thomas Dawson and his son, also named Richard Dawson, 3rd Baron Cremorne, was created Earl of Dartrey in 1866. The Dawsons were settled in county Monaghan from the early 18th century. They had connections through marriage with the Veseys, the Penns, the Whaleys and the O'Briens of Dromoland, county Clare. In 1841 the 1st Earl of Dartrey married Augusta, daugher of Edward and Lady Mary Stanley. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Lord Cremorne held three townlands in the parish of Lorrha, barony of Lower Ormond, county Tipperary. He was also among the principal lessors in the parishes of Colligan, Dungarvan and Fews, barony of Decies without Drum, county Waterford. Castle Dawson, county Monaghan, was the seat of this family.
Ryan (Rathneaveen) Michael Ryan was living in a house in Rathneaveen Ryan, parish and county of Tipperary, in the mid 19th century. By the 1870s Michael Ryan of Rathneaveen is recorded as owning 776 acres in the county.