Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Apjohn (Pallas House)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Roche (Shannon View) A branch of the Roche family descended from Stephen Roche of Pallas, county Limerick, late 17th century, who married Anastasia daughter and co heir with her sister Catherine Apjohn of Thomas Lysaght. Their third son Philip of Shannon View married Margaret daughter of John Kelly of Limerick. Their descendants intermarried with members of the Whyte family of Loughbrickland, county Down. From Philip's eldest brother Stephen descend the Roches of Rye Hill, county Galway. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Charles Philip Roche held an estate in the parishes of Kilbradran, barony of Shanid and Corcomohide, barony of Connello Upper, county Limerick. His estate of 1,208 acres was advertised for sale in November 1861. In the early 1840s the agent for this estate was Stephen Edward Collis of Listowel, county Kerry. In the 1870s Charles P. Roche of Dublin owned 1,222 acres in county Limerick.
Apjohn (Pallas House) Thomas Apjohn was resident at Pallasgreen, county Limerick, at the end of the 18th century. His son James, a well known physician, mineralogist and chemist was born at Sunville in 1796. In 1850 Dr James Apjohn was appointed Professor of Chemistry at Trinity College Dublin. In the 1870s Dr James Apjohn of Blackrock, county Dublin owned 386 acres in county Limerick while Frances Apjohn of Sunville owned 94 acres.
Shuldham/Shouldham The Shuldhams were originally from Norfolk. In the early 18th century Edmond Shuldham of Ardtully, county Kerry married Mary MacCarthy, daughter and heiress of MacCarthy Spaniagh of Dunmanway, county Cork. Their eldest son, Edmond Shuldham, held lands in the counties of Cork, Limerick and in the city of Dublin. Many members of the family followed military careers. Arthur Lemuel Shuldham of Dunmanyway, and of Pallas Green, county Limerick, had a son Edmond William who was Quarter Master General at Bombay for a number of years. At the time of Griffith's Valuation General Shuldham owned an estate in the parishes of Oola and Tuoghcluggin, barony of Coonagh, county Limerick. Thomas Apjohn of Pallas was agent for the Shuldhams circa 1840. In 1851, Maj. Gen. Edmund Anderson Shuldham was among the principal lessors in the parishes of Drinagh, Fanlobbus and Kilmichael, barony of East Carbery, county Cork. His estate in county Cork in the 1870s amounted to over 13,000 acres.