Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Langton (Bruree)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Staveley/Stevelly (Co Limerick) At the time of Griffith's Valuation Robert Jones Stavelly held an estate in the parishes of Monagay, barony of Glenquin and Cloncrew, Dromcolleher and Kilmeedy, barony of Connello Upper, county Limerick. In the 1870s James Butler Stavelly of Croydon Park, Fairview, county Dublin, owned 4,169 acres in county Limerick. Robert Jones Staveley appears to be the son of Jones Staveley who was a son of Robert Staveley and Sarah Jones. Jones Staveley was a Judge in the High Court of Ireland. Robert J. Staveley married Maria Butler and had a number of children, for further information see http://www.staveley-genealogy.com/dublin.htm
Langton (Bruree) The Langton family were settled at Bruree, county Limerick, from at least the early 18th century. They intermarried with the Newman and Stavelly families. At the time of Griffith's Valuation James Langton held an estate in the parish of Bruree, barony of Connello Upper, county Limerick, including the village of Bruree. Earlier, circa 1840, the Ordnance Survey Field Name Book refers to James Langton of France holding land in the parish. In November 1853 the estate of James Langton amounting to over 1,200 acres and including the village of Bruree was advertised for sale in the Encumbered Estates' Court. The village of Bruree was advertised for sale again in August 1874. The owners included Henry Crofton Stavely who in 1855 had married Maria Augusta Langton and emigrated to Australia. see http://www.staveley-genealogy.com/dublin.htm