Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Phillips

Description

A Catholic family holding property in Co Mayo for 2 centuries. Philip Phillips was Bishop of Killala.


Estate(s)

Name Description
Phillips In 1641 Moyler Reogh McPhilip was the proprietor of Cloonmore in the parish of Kilbeagh, barony of Costello, county Mayo. Quinn refers to a 1684 grant of the Cloonmore estate from Charles II to Captain Walter Phillips. The estate amounting to 8619 acres was bought by John Sadlier, the banker, in May 1853.
McDonnell (Palmfield) The Statistical Survey of county Mayo records Myles McDonnell of Cloonmore, barony of Costello, as a resident landlord in 1802. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Mark Garvey McDonnell held the townlands of Srah Upper and Lower in the parish of Kilbeagh, barony of Costello, county Mayo. John Knox of Castlereagh and the Phillips of Cloonmore were recorded as owners of these lands at the time of the first Ordnance Survey. The Sniggeen estate of Loughlin Redican and Mark G, McDonnell, his administrator, was offered for sale in the Landed Estates Court in June 1862. This property was located in the barony of Corran, county Sligo. In 1876 Mark G. McDonnell of Springlawn, county Roscommon, owned 863 acres in county Mayo. Sir Antony McDonnell second son of Mark G. McDonnell became a prominent British diplomat in the early 20th century.
Sadleir (Ballintemple & Shrone Hill) John Sadleir of London settled at Ballintemple, county Tipperary, in the 1660s having a grant of lands in the barony of Eliogarty under the Acts of Settlement. He married Mary Clements of London. This branch of the Sadleir family descend from their third son, Clement Sadleir of Ballintemple. In 1805 Clement Sadleir of Shrone Hill married Joanna Scully and they had four sons, William of Shrone Hill, James, a director of the Tipperary Bank, John, director of the Tipperary Bank (committed suicide in 1856) and Clement. At the time of Griffith's Valuation members of the Sadlier family held lands in the parishes of Oola and Templebredon, barony of Coonagh, and Galbally, barony of Coshlea, county Limerick. In July 1857 the mansion house and demesne of Coolnamuck, county Waterford and lands in the baronies of Middlethird, county Tipperary and Coonagh, county Limerick, the estate of James Sadlier, were advertised for sale. George McDowell, official manager of the Tipperary Bank was the petitioner. A lithograph of Coolnamuck House is included in the sale rental. Another sale was advertised in June 1861, George McDowell petitioner. Property owned by C.W. Sadlier in the town of Caher was sold in the Landed Estates Court in February 1859 and March 1862. Property in the 1859 sale was bought in trust for Mr. Malcolmson for over £8000 while the lots in the 1862 sale were purchased in trust for the Countess of Glengall. Part of Coolnamuck East and West, and Carrickbeg, county Waterford and Figlash, county Tipperary, in total 1,508 acres, the estate of Clement William Sadlier was advertised for sale in July 1865. Over 1,000 acres belonging to the banking consortium of John William Burmester, Farmery John Law and James Sadlier in the barony of Coshlea, county Limerick, were advertised for sale in November 1857. An estate of 925 acres in the barony of Condons and Clangibbon, county Cork, belonging to the same banking consortium, was also advertised in June 1860 and 443 acres at Shanakill, barony of Ikerrin, county Tipperary in July 1861. This county Cork estate had been purchased from the sale of the Kingston estate in 1855. James Sadlier of Tipperary owned 549 acres in county Limerick in the 1870s. John Sadlier bought the Cloonmore estate of 8619 acres in the parish of Kilbeagh, barony of Costello, county Mayo, from the Phillips family in the Encumbered Estates' Court in May 1853. The estate was sold again in the Landed Estates' Court in 1860 following the suicide of John Sadlier and the collapse of his banking and business interests. John Sadleir also bought portions of the estate of the Earl of Glengall at Cahir in 1853. These portions were for sale again in 1857. In the mid 19th century various members of the Sadleir family held land in parishes in the barony of Clanwilliam, county Tipperary.