Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Powell (Clonshavoy)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Clive (Co Clare) Robert Clive, known as "Clive of India", bought an estate in county Clare from the Dublin banker Henry Mitchell circa 1760. Mitchell had bought the two portions of his estate from General John Thomas Fowke and the trustees of Henry O'Brien, Earl of Thomond about twenty years earlier. The estate was comprised of dispersed pockets of land mainly located to the west and north of what is now Shannon Airport. Clive purchased the head rent of these lands which were leased to such families as the Spaights, Hickmans, Lewins, Creaghs, Wolfes, MacDonnells. His agent was Caleb Powell. Logan estimates the estate to have been over 12,000 acres. Robert Clive was created Baron Clive of Plassey [Ballykilty], county Clare, in 1762. The 1761 rental of the estate of Robert Clive lists William Monsell as tenant of "Plassey otherwise Ballykilty". Clive died in 1774 and was succeeded by his son Edward who married the sister and heir of George E.H.A. Herbert, Earl of Powis, who held the head rent of an estate at Castleisland, county Kerry. In 1804 Edward was created Earl of Powis. In 1790 Edward Clive visited counties Kerry, Limerick and Clare. Following this visit Stephen Rice was appointed agent to the estates in Edward Clive's control in counties Kerry and Clare. Before his death in 1839 Edward Clive had specified that his Irish estates were to be sold to pay off any debts due from the consolidation of the Clive and Herbert estates. His son Edward had inherited the Herbert estates of his uncle. The county Clare estate of the Clives was sold in 1842 and Logan lists the names of the tenants in 1761, 1841 and the purchasers. The purchasers included names such as Gabbett (Ballykilty), Caswell (Rosmadda), McMahon, Hickman (Carrigoran), Roseingrave, Brady and Ball (Fortfergus).
Powell (Clonshavoy) The Powells were established in county Limerick by the end of the 17th century. In 1703 Richard Powell bought some of the confiscated estate of James II in the barony of Clanwilliam. In 1717 Robert Powell of Newgarden married Anne Eyre of Galway. In May 1773 their eldest son Richard conveyed Prospect (Lisnagry) to a widow, Mary Connor. The fee simple of Prospect was advertised for sale in November 1859. Robert and Anne's fifth son Caleb Powell (1730-1797) settled at Clonshavoy. Caleb Powell served in the Army in India under Colonel Robert Clive and was agent to the Clive estate in county Clare post 1760. At the time of Griffith's Valuation his grandson Caleb Powell held land in the parishes of Feenagh, barony of Bunratty Lower, county Clare and Abington, barony of Owneybeg, county Limerick. In the 1870s Caleb Powell of Clonshavoy, Barrington's Bridge, Limerick owned 352 acres in county Clare and 234 acres in county Limerick. Property in the barony of Owenybeg, county Limerick and in Limerick City, owned by Caleb and Eyre Burton Powell was sold in the Land Judges' Court in January 1888. The purchasers were Daniel and John Ryan and John Powell in trust.