Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Frend


Estate(s)

Name Description
Frend In 1666 John Frend, a captain in the Cromwellian army, was granted over 3,000 acres in the barony of Clanwilliam, county Limerick. His fourth son, Benjamin, held estates centred on Boskill, Caherconlish, county Limerick and Ballyreehy, county Offaly. In 1773 his descendant, Benjamin Frend of Boskill, married Arabella Purdon of Tinerana, county Clare and left his estates to his second son, another Benjamin, who married a sister of the 1st Viscount Gort. In 1842 their eldest son, Benjamin Bunbury Frend, married Jane Bagwell of the Marlfield family and this couple lived at Rocklow and Ardsallagh in the parish of Rathcool, county Tipperary. At the time of Griffith's Valuation, Benjamin Frend, senior, held at least eight townlands in the parishes of Caherconlish, Donaghmore and St Nicholas Parish, barony of Clanwilliam, county Limerick and a townland in the parish of Kilbonane, barony of East Muskerry, county Cork [leased to William Spillane]. George C. Frend held a townland in the parish of Donaghmore, county Limerick. Benjamin Frend of Boskill owned over a thousand acres in county Limerick in the 1870s while [his first cousin] Benjamin Frend of Paris owned 636 acres. The Frend family were resident in Moneygall, county Offaly in the 1970s.