Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Gabbett (Highpark)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Gabbett (Caherline) A Shropshire family who were established at Caherline, county Limerick by the end of the 17th century. The senior branch of this family remained at Caherline throughout the following two centuries while junior branches settled at Mountminnett, High Park, Strand House and in county Clare. [The evidence seems to suggest that the Gabbetts originally lived in the townland of Caherline, parish of Ballybrood and then in a house called Caherline at Lisnagry near Limerick city]. At the time of Griffith's Valuation William Henry Gabbett held an estate in the parish of Ballybrood, barony of Clanwilliam. In the 1870s his son Richard J. Gabbett of Caherline owned just over a thousand acres in county Limerick. The Mountminnett branch of the family were descended from John Gabbett third son of William Gabbett of Caherline. In 1713 John married Mary Apjohn and their descendants, successive generations named William, continued to live at Mountminnett into the late 19th century when William Gabbett of Mountminnett is recorded as owning 397 acres.
Gabbett (Highpark) A junior branch of the Gabbetts of Caherline, near Limerick city, founded by Joseph Gabbett, third son of William Gabbett and Dorothea de Burgh, who married in 1730. Joseph Gabbett succeeded to the High Park estate of his great uncle, Joseph Gabbett, and to the Sparsholt estate in Berkshire of his uncle, Lieutenant General Joseph Gabbett, who had married the daughter and heiress of Seymour Richmond of Sparsholt. Joseph Gabbett married Mary Lloyd of Castle Lloyd and their three sons, Joseph, William and Thomas, held land in the parish of Caherconlish, barony of Clanwilliam, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. In 1832 their granddaughter, Lucy Caroline, married William Smith O'Brien of Cahirmoyle, county Limerick, a brother of Lord Inchiquin and a political activist. In April 1872 the estate of the Reverend Joseph Gabbett and Joseph Gabbett the younger at High Park, a total of 723 acres, was advertised for sale. Captain Charles D. Gabbett was the tenant of Highpark at the time. Much of the property was purchased in trust by Mr. Fry including one portion on behalf of Reverend Joseph Gabbett. The Reverend Robert Gabbett of The Vicarage, Foynes, owned over 500 acres in county Limerick in the 1870s. However, Bateman, writing in the 1880s, states that Reverend Joseph Gabbett of Ardmullen, Kilmallock, county Limerick, owned over 3,500 acres in that county as well as land in county Tipperary.