Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Gabbett (Caherline)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Gabbett (Caherline) A Shropshire family who were established at Caherline, county Limerick by the end of the 17th century. The senior branch of this family remained at Caherline throughout the following two centuries while junior branches settled at Mountminnett, High Park, Strand House and in county Clare. [The evidence seems to suggest that the Gabbetts originally lived in the townland of Caherline, parish of Ballybrood and then in a house called Caherline at Lisnagry near Limerick city]. At the time of Griffith's Valuation William Henry Gabbett held an estate in the parish of Ballybrood, barony of Clanwilliam. In the 1870s his son Richard J. Gabbett of Caherline owned just over a thousand acres in county Limerick. The Mountminnett branch of the family were descended from John Gabbett third son of William Gabbett of Caherline. In 1713 John married Mary Apjohn and their descendants, successive generations named William, continued to live at Mountminnett into the late 19th century when William Gabbett of Mountminnett is recorded as owning 397 acres.
Gabbett (Highpark) A junior branch of the Gabbetts of Caherline, near Limerick city, founded by Joseph Gabbett, third son of William Gabbett and Dorothea de Burgh, who married in 1730. Joseph Gabbett succeeded to the High Park estate of his great uncle, Joseph Gabbett, and to the Sparsholt estate in Berkshire of his uncle, Lieutenant General Joseph Gabbett, who had married the daughter and heiress of Seymour Richmond of Sparsholt. Joseph Gabbett married Mary Lloyd of Castle Lloyd and their three sons, Joseph, William and Thomas, held land in the parish of Caherconlish, barony of Clanwilliam, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. In 1832 their granddaughter, Lucy Caroline, married William Smith O'Brien of Cahirmoyle, county Limerick, a brother of Lord Inchiquin and a political activist. In April 1872 the estate of the Reverend Joseph Gabbett and Joseph Gabbett the younger at High Park, a total of 723 acres, was advertised for sale. Captain Charles D. Gabbett was the tenant of Highpark at the time. Much of the property was purchased in trust by Mr. Fry including one portion on behalf of Reverend Joseph Gabbett. The Reverend Robert Gabbett of The Vicarage, Foynes, owned over 500 acres in county Limerick in the 1870s. However, Bateman, writing in the 1880s, states that Reverend Joseph Gabbett of Ardmullen, Kilmallock, county Limerick, owned over 3,500 acres in that county as well as land in county Tipperary.
Gabbett (Strand House) Daniel Gabbett of Strand House was the third son of William Gabbett of Caherline, near Limerick city, and his wife, Jane Maunsell of Ballywilliam. In 1795, Daniel Gabbett of Strand House, county Limerick, married Alicia FitzGerald of Carrigoran, county Clare and they had six sons Their fifth son, the Reverend Joseph Gabbett of Ardvullen and Shelburne, county Limerick owned over 3,500 acres in county Limerick in the 1870s. At the same time their grandson, Daniel Fitzgerald Gabbett of Oldcourt, Caherconlish, is recorded as owning 1,193 acres in the same county. Daniel F. Gabbett was a son of Daniel Gabbett. He was Member of Parliament for Limerick city from 1879-1885. Part of his estate at Caherconlish with other lands amounting to over a thousand acres was advertised for sale in November 1883. Windham Gabbett of Mount Rivers, county Tipperary, was his brother. The Irish Times reported the adjournment of the sale due to absence of bidding.
Norcott The Norcott family lived at Doneraile in county Cork, see http://www.iol.ie/~nodonnel/gentleman'svillage.htm Maunsell writes that the Norcotts were originally from Devon and that a branch of the family settled in Ireland in the mid 17th century. The family name was originally spelt Northcote. Members of the early generations were clergymen. By the mid 18th century a branch of the family was established at Springfield. Hugh Norcott of Springfield married Anne Godsell of Mooretown, county Limerick, sister of Amos Godsell of Sunville. Their youngest son, Amos, married Harriett Gordon, a niece of 1st Lord Rossmore. General Sir Amos Godsell Robert Norcott was their only son. He had a distinguished military career and died in 1838. By the time of Griffith's Valuation James Norcott held about 300 acres in the parish of Buttevant. In the 1870s James Norcott of Ballybeg owned 210 acres and Arthur Norcott of Park [North] owned 275 acres in county Cork. In January 1863 an estate of 571 acres at Baggotstown, barony of Smallcounty, county Limerick, was advertised for sale by the owners Mary Norcott and John Spiers Morgan in whom the interest of Thomas Spiers Gabbett had become vested. In 1717 William Gabbett of Caherline, county Limerick, had married Mary, daughter of Thomas Spiers of Baggotstown, county Limerick. Thomas Spiers Gabbett was their second son. He married twice and had children with both wives. Houses in Patrick Street, Limerick, the estate of Hugh Thomas Norcott were advertised for sale in January 1867. The lands of Newgrove, part of the lands of Slievedotia, 275 acres in the barony of Barretts, the estate of William Norcott, was advertised for sale in December 1869. Newgrove was bought by Nathaniel Wynne and advertised for sale again in November 1885.
Marshall (Toomaline) Laurence/Lawrence Marshall was established in the Toomaline locality, parish of Doon, barony of Coonagh, county Limerick, in the first half of the 19th century. His son Laurence and daughter Anne married Elizabeth and Joseph Gabbett, children of William Gabbett of Mount Minnett, county Limerick. In the 1870s the representatives of Laurence Marshall owned 833 acres in county Limerick.