Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Bourke (Thornfield)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Bourke (Thornfield) The Bourkes were settled at Dromsally, county Limerick at the beginning of the 18th century. From the first marriage of Richard Bourke of Dromsally, county Tipperary (died 1761) descend the Bourkes of Thornfield and from his second marriage to Mary Donellan descend the Bourkes or De Burghos of Castle Connell baronets. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Sir Richard Bourke of Thornfield, a Lieutenant General who had served as Governor of New South Wales in the 1830s, held an estate in the parishes of Clonkeen and Killeenagarriff, barony of Clanwilliam and Doon, barony of Coonagh, county Limerick and Kilcomenty, barony of Owney and Arra, county Tipperary. The two townlands in the parish of Clonkeen were held from John Lucas. In the 1870s Richard Bourke of Thornfield owned 948 acres in county Limerick and 418 acres in county Tipperary. In 1844 Richard Bourke, son of Sir Richard, married Anne O'Grady of Kilballyowen. Their great grandson Gerard Bourke was still resident at Thornfield in 2004. http://www.adb.online.anu.edu.au/biogs/A010120b.htm
De Burgho (Castleconnell) Lewis wrote that the Bourkes were connected with the parish of Stradbally from the 12th century. This family share a common ancestry with the Bourkes of Thornfield, Lisnagry, county Limerick. Richard Bourke, son of John Bourke and his second wife, Mary Donellan, assumed the name De Burgho and was created a baronet in 1785. By his second wife ,Elizabeth Dwyer, he had two sons, Richard and John Allen, who succeeded as 2nd and 3rd baronets. Sir Richard Donellan de Burgho, 4th baronet, was the only son of Sir John and his wife Anne Waller of Castle Waller and when he died in 1873 the title became extinct. At the time of Griffith's Valuation the De Burghos held at least ten townlands in the parish of Stradbally including most of the town of Castleconnell. They also held land in the parish of Tuogh, barony of Owneybeg, including Dromsallagh, where the Bourke family had lived in the early 18th century. Lady De Burgho of Castleconnell (Catherine Brazier of Rivers, county Limerick) owned 3,844 acres in county Limerick and 372 acres in county Wexford in the 1870s.
Bourke (Co Tipperary) A Bourke family owned land at Moatville, barony of Lower Ormond, county Tipperary, in the second half of the 19th century. The fee simple estate of Antonia Jane Belinda Bourke and Anna Mary Stuart wife of Henry Benson Stuart, an author, amounting to 350 acres was advertised for sale in November 1874. It was bought in trust by Adam Mitchell for over £3000. This family may be related to the Bourkes of Thornfields. [The estate of Nicholas Bourke at Curraghleigh and Ballydaffy, barony of Kilnamanagh, was advertised for sale in February 1855.] I