Landed Estates
NUI Galway

O'Callaghan

Family title

Viscount & Baron Lismore


Estate(s)

Name Description
King (Kingston/Lorton) The King estate was one of the largest in Connacht including lands in Leitrim, Mayo and Sligo as well as the main estate in County Roscommon. In 1667 Lord Kingston was granted over 23,000 acres in Connacht and over 14,000 acres in Munster and other very large estates particularly in counties Cork and Tipperary in 1669. Most of the King's Munster estate was in County Cork and through marriage with the Harman family they also acquired lands in County Longford. The family name became at various times King-Harman, Harman-King-Harman and Stafford-King-Harman. In 1703 lands at Ardcarne were conveyed to Neave Coghill. At the same time Sir Robert King sold lands to George Gore. The estate was centred around Boyle in County Roscommon, firstly at King House and later at Rockingham. In 1828 Robert King was a member of the Grand Panel of county Roscommon. In the mid 19th century the county Limerick estate of the the Earl of Kingston was in the barony of Coshlea, mainly in the parishes of Ballylanders (thirteen townlands) and Kilbeheny (21 townlands) but he also held land in the parishes of Ballingarry and Effin. Almost 21,000 acres in the parishes of Ballylanders and Kilbeheny, county Limerick, 18,180 acres in county Tipperary and 3,951 acres of the Araglin estate in county Cork, belonging to Lord Kingston, were advertised for sale in June and July 1851. The Freeman's Journal gives details of the purchasers in both 1851 and 1852. Griffith's Valuation records the Earl of Kingston holding land in various parishes in the baronies of Fermoy and Condons and Clangibbon, county Cork. The vast bulk of his estate around Mitchelstown was in the parishes of Brigown, Kildorrery, Kilgullane, Marshalstown, Macroney and Templemolaga, barony of Condons and Clangibbon. The county Tipperary estate was comprised of the parish of Templetenny, barony of Iffa and Offa West. It was advertised for sale in July 1851 and mainly purchased by the Irish Land Company and Edward Sandiford Power. Part of the settled estates of Lord Kingston, over 26,000 acres in county Cork and 250 acres in county Limerick were advertised for sale in February 1855. The settled estates were advertised in 3 divisions, the first was comprised of lots north west of Mitchestown, the second division was located south east of Mitchelstown and the third was a tract of 9,000 acres of land in the barony of Duhallow on which Lord Lismore paid the head rent. Over 7,000 acres of the settled estates in the baronies of Condons and Clangibbon and Fermoy were to be auctioned on 5 June 1855. In the 1870s the Kingston estates in counties Limerick and Tipperary were only 250 and 211 acres while the county Cork estate amounted to 24,421 acres.
O'Callaghan Cornelius O'Callaghan, a lawyer in the early 18th century, married Marie Jolley. Their grandson, also named Cornelius, of Shanbally, county Tipperary, was created Baron Lismore of Shanbally in 1785. His son became a Viscount in 1806. By the mid 19th century the county Cork estate of Viscount Lismore was mainly in the parishes of Clonmeen and Kilshannig, barony of Duhallow, county Cork. He held this property from the Earl of Kingston. He also held land in the parish of Castlemagner. The county Tipperary estate of Viscount Lismore was principally in the parish of Shanrahan (23 townlands) but he also had land in the parishes of Ballybacon, Tubbrid, Tullaghorton and Whitechurch, barony of Iffa and Offa West, Lisronagh and Temple-etney, barony of Iffa and Offa East, Kiltinan, barony of Middlethird, Killardry, barony of Clanwilliam, Doon and Toem, barony of Kilnamanagh Upper and Terryglass, barony of Lower Ormond. In the 1870s Viscount Lismore owned 34,945 acres in county Tipperary, 6,067 acres in county Cork and 1,194 acres in county Limerick. Griffith's Valuation records the Viscount holding the townland of Feohanagh, 1,196 acres in the parish of Mahoonagh, barony of Glenquin, county Limerick.
O'Callaghan (Clonmeen) The O'Callaghans of Clonmeen Castle and later of Clonmeen Lodge, barony of Duhallow, county Cork, were established in the Banteer locality until the death of Robert O'Callaghan in 1778. They appear to have held their land from Viscount Lismore. Robert O'Callaghan's sister Melian had married Thomas Morgell in the early 1730s and documents referring to both the O'Callaghan and Morgell families are to be found in the Grehan collection, Boole Library, University College Cork. In 1748 a daughter of Robert O'Callaghan of Clonmeen married Denis O'Callaghan of Glynn.
Carew/Pole Carew In 1901 Lady Beatrice Frances Elizabeth Butler eldest daughter of the 3rd Marquess of Ormonde married Sir Reginald Pole Carew of Antony, Cornwall. She and her sister Lady Constance Butler were co heiresses to the last Lord Lismore who died in 1898. The sisters held well over a thousand acres of untenanted land in the Clogheen district of county Tipperary in 1906.