Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Lawless

Family title

Baron Cloncurry


Estate(s)

Name Description
Lawless The Lawless family, originally from Hertfordshire, settled in Dublin in the early 18th century. Nicholas Lawless son of Robert Lawless of Abington, county Limerick, married Margaret daughter of Valentine Browne of Dublin. He was created a baronet in 1776 and elevated to the peerage as Baron Cloncurry in 1789. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Lord Cloncurry owned 10 townlands in the parish of Abington, barony of Owneybeg. In the 1870s Lord Cloncurry owned over 5,000 acres in county Limerick, 919 acres in county Dublin, 396 acres in county Meath and 6,503 acres in county Kildare, where he resided at Lyons, Hazelhatch.