Landed Estates
NUI Galway

O'Grady (Cahir Guillamore)

Family title

Viscount Guillamore


Estate(s)

Name Description
O'Grady (Kichreest) The Right Honourable and Reverend William O'Grady is recorded as the proprietor of Kilchreest Glebe, parish of Kilchreest, barony of Loughrea in the 1830s, which he held as a demesne. He was the fourth son of Standish O'Grady, 1st Viscount Guillamore and was later Archdeacon of Kilmacduagh.
Bouchier/Bourchier (Baggotstown) The Bouchiers had estates in county Limerick from Elizabethan times when they were granted some of the estate of the Earls of Desmond. Sir George Bouchier built Lough Gur castle in 1586 and his estate passed to the Fane family. However another branch of the Bourchier family acquired the nearby Kilcullane and Baggotstown estates. John Bouchier of Baggotstown, Kilcullane and Maidenhall, county Limerick, married Faith O’Grady of Kilballyowen and had three sons, James inherited Kilcullane and John inherited Baggotstown and Maidenhall. The Kilcullane estate was sold in 1812 to the 1st Viscount Guillamore. In the mid 19th century the Baggotstown estate was situated in the parish of Knockainy, barony of Smallcounty, county Limerick and Ballyhay, barony of Orrery and Kilmore, county Cork. James David Bouchier, a political activist who was very involved in the affairs of Bulgaria in the latter half of the 19th century, was a member of this family. In the 1870s the Bouchier estate was comprised of 845 acres.
O'Grady (Cahir Guillamore) Descended from a younger son of the O'Gradys of Kilballyowen, county Limerick, Standish O'Grady, son of Darby O'Grady of Mount Prospect, was created Viscount Guillamore in 1831. The O'Gradys acquired Cahir by the marriage of the 1st Viscount's grandfather, Standish O'Grady, to Honora, daughter and co heir of Jeremiah Hayes of Cahir. The Guillamore estate was in the parishes of Fedamore and Glenogra, barony of Smallcounty, Tullabracky, barony of Coshma and Abbeyfeale, Clonelty, Grange and Mahoonagh, barony of Glenquin, county Limerick and Drumtarriff, barony of Duhallow, county Cork, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. Lady Guillamore held land in the parish of Askeaton, barony of Connello Lower. In the 1870s the 4th Viscount owned 3,750 acres in county Limerick and 1096 acres in county Cork, while his niece, Honourable Cecilia O'Grady of Rockbarton, only surviving child of the 3rd Viscount, owned 4,977 acres. She married Lord Fermoy in 1877.
O'Grady (Castle Garde) The O'Gradys of Castle Garde, county Limerick, were a junior branch of the O'Gradys Viscounts Guillamore. The Cappamore parish history records Waller O'Grady purchasing Castle Garde about the time of his marriage to Grace Elizabeth Massy in 1823. He also bought the Bilboa estate of the Earl of Stradbroke. Hugh Massy O'Grady was a grandson of the 1st Viscount and he held at least twelve townlands in the parish of Doon, barony of Coonagh, county Limerick, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. Much of this estate was in the possession of the Earl of Stradbroke at the time of the first Ordnance Survey. In the 1870s his son, Walter Massy O'Grady, owned 3,279 acres in county Limerick. Walter's brother, Hugh Hamon Massy O'Grady, succeeded his cousin as 7th Viscount Guillamore in 1927. Hugh Thompson, a nephew of Lady Guillamore succeeded to Castle Garde in 1930.
O'Grady (County Cork) Rev. Thomas O'Grady was one of the principal lessors in the parish of Kilmoe, barony of West Carbery, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. A nephew of Standish O'Grady, 1st Viscount Guillamore, he was the rector of Castetownbere at the time. His second son was Standish James O'Grady, later involved in the Irish Literary revival. His wife was Susan Doe, a member of a family holding a small estate in the Kilmoe area for many years. The representatives of Mrs Susan O'Grady owned 1,696 acres in county Cork in the 1870s.
O'Grady (Abbeyfeale) Edward O'Grady was a younger brother of Standish O'Grady 1st Viscount Guillamore. He married Mary daughter of William Stamer of Carnelly, county Clare and had a son Edward and a daughter Julia who married in 1840 as her first husband Wellington A. Rose. In 1856 she married Sir Edward Fitzgerald baronet. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Edward O'Grady held land in the parish of Abbeyfeale, barony of Glenquin, county Limerick. In the 1870s Edward Stamer O'Grady of Abbeyfeale and Dublin owned 1,438 acres in county Limerick. His grandson Guillamore O’Grady (1879-1952) eventually inherited the Stamer home Carnelly.
O'Grady (Aghamarta) Darby O'Grady, a younger brother of the 1st Viscount Guillamore, held land in the parishes of Ballingarry, barony of Connello Lower and Grean, barony of Coonagh, county Limerick in the early 1850s, while his son Standish D. O'Grady held land in the parishes of Askeaton, barony of Connello Lower and Kilbradan, barony of Shanid. At the time of Griffith's Valuation, the representatives of Carew O'Grady held townlands in the parishes of Carrigaline and Templebreedy, barony of Kerrycurrihy, county Cork. Ó Murchadha writes that this part of the estate was purchased by Carew O'Grady in 1824 from the estate of Lord Harberton. Standish Darby O'Grady of Aghamarta Castle owned 869 acres in county Cork and 1,111 acres in county Limerick in the 1870s. He died in 1886 leaving three daughters as his heirs.