Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Bouchier/Bourchier (Baggotstown)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Bouchier/Bourchier (Baggotstown) The Bouchiers had estates in county Limerick from Elizabethan times when they were granted some of the estate of the Earls of Desmond. Sir George Bouchier built Lough Gur castle in 1586 and his estate passed to the Fane family. However another branch of the Bourchier family acquired the nearby Kilcullane and Baggotstown estates. John Bouchier of Baggotstown, Kilcullane and Maidenhall, county Limerick, married Faith O’Grady of Kilballyowen and had three sons, James inherited Kilcullane and John inherited Baggotstown and Maidenhall. The Kilcullane estate was sold in 1812 to the 1st Viscount Guillamore. In the mid 19th century the Baggotstown estate was situated in the parish of Knockainy, barony of Smallcounty, county Limerick and Ballyhay, barony of Orrery and Kilmore, county Cork. James David Bouchier, a political activist who was very involved in the affairs of Bulgaria in the latter half of the 19th century, was a member of this family. In the 1870s the Bouchier estate was comprised of 845 acres.
O'Grady (Cahir Guillamore) Descended from a younger son of the O'Gradys of Kilballyowen, county Limerick, Standish O'Grady, son of Darby O'Grady of Mount Prospect, was created Viscount Guillamore in 1831. The O'Gradys acquired Cahir by the marriage of the 1st Viscount's grandfather, Standish O'Grady, to Honora, daughter and co heir of Jeremiah Hayes of Cahir. The Guillamore estate was in the parishes of Fedamore and Glenogra, barony of Smallcounty, Tullabracky, barony of Coshma and Abbeyfeale, Clonelty, Grange and Mahoonagh, barony of Glenquin, county Limerick and Drumtarriff, barony of Duhallow, county Cork, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. Lady Guillamore held land in the parish of Askeaton, barony of Connello Lower. In the 1870s the 4th Viscount owned 3,750 acres in county Limerick and 1096 acres in county Cork, while his niece, Honourable Cecilia O'Grady of Rockbarton, only surviving child of the 3rd Viscount, owned 4,977 acres. She married Lord Fermoy in 1877.
Fane The Fane family held an estate in the barony of Smallcounty, county Limerick in the first half of the 18th century, formerly belonging to the Bourchier family. Charles Fane of Bassilden, Berkshire, was created Viscount Fane and Baron of Loughgur in 1718. His son Charles 2nd Viscount died childless in 1766 and his estates passed to the families of the 2nd Viscount's sisters who were married to the Count de Salis and the Earl of Sandwich.