Landed Estates
NUI Galway

De Salis


Estate(s)

Name Description
Montagu There are two Irish connections in the ancestry of the Earls of Sandwich. In the mid 17th century Edward Montagu 2nd Earl of Sandwich married Anne fourth daughter of Richard Boyle Earl of Burlington and in 1740 John 4th Earl of Sandwich married Dorothy Fane. ‘’Burke's Irish Family Records’’ (1976 - De Salis entry) states that she was co heiress, with her older sister Mary wife of the Count De Salis, to the Fane’s Irish estates, formerly in the possession of the Bourchier family. It appears that it was through this marriage that the Earl of Sandwich acquired his county Limerick estate as it was located in the same parishes as the De Salis county Limerick estate. At the time of Griffith’s Valuation the Earl held lands in the parishes of Ballinlough, Glenogra and Tullabracky, barony of Smallcounty. Lewis writes in 1837 that the parish of Ballinlough was the joint property of the Earls of Sandwich and Aldborough. In the 1870s the estate amounted to 3,844 acres.
De Salis This family, of Swiss origin, settled in England at the beginning of the 18th century. In 1735 Jerome, 2nd Count de Salis, married Mary Fane, daughter of Charles Fane, created Viscount Fane and Baron of Loughgur, county Limerick in 1718. Following the death of her childless brother, the 2nd Viscount Fane, she inherited, with her sister Dorothy, Countess of Sandwich, the Irish estates of the Bourchier family which had passed to the Fanes (‘’Irish Family Records’’). Her grandson, Jerome, 4th Count de Salis of county Armagh and Middlesex took the additional name of Fane in 1809. Members of the De Salis family were soldiers and diplomats and were absentee landlords with regard to their county Limerick estate, which was in the barony of Smallcounty, in the parishes of Fedamore, Glenogra, Knockainy, Monasteranenagh and Tullabracky. Edward Walleford, Bolton Street, Picadilly, London, was the agent circa 1840.In the 1870s Count De Salis of Tandragee, county Armagh, owned over 4,000 acres in county Limerick and 3,663 acres in county Armagh.
Bouchier/Bourchier (Baggotstown) The Bouchiers had estates in county Limerick from Elizabethan times when they were granted some of the estate of the Earls of Desmond. Sir George Bouchier built Lough Gur castle in 1586 and his estate passed to the Fane family. However another branch of the Bourchier family acquired the nearby Kilcullane and Baggotstown estates. John Bouchier of Baggotstown, Kilcullane and Maidenhall, county Limerick, married Faith O’Grady of Kilballyowen and had three sons, James inherited Kilcullane and John inherited Baggotstown and Maidenhall. The Kilcullane estate was sold in 1812 to the 1st Viscount Guillamore. In the mid 19th century the Baggotstown estate was situated in the parish of Knockainy, barony of Smallcounty, county Limerick and Ballyhay, barony of Orrery and Kilmore, county Cork. James David Bouchier, a political activist who was very involved in the affairs of Bulgaria in the latter half of the 19th century, was a member of this family. In the 1870s the Bouchier estate was comprised of 845 acres.
Fane The Fane family held an estate in the barony of Smallcounty, county Limerick in the first half of the 18th century, formerly belonging to the Bourchier family. Charles Fane of Bassilden, Berkshire, was created Viscount Fane and Baron of Loughgur in 1718. His son Charles 2nd Viscount died childless in 1766 and his estates passed to the families of the 2nd Viscount's sisters who were married to the Count de Salis and the Earl of Sandwich.