Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Lloyd (Linfield)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Lloyd Apjohn (Linfield) This branch of the Lloyd family are descended from Rickard Lloyd, a younger son of Thomas Lloyd of Towerhill, county Limerick, tax commissioner in 1660. They succeeded to the Linfield property through the mid 18th century marriage of Richard Lloyd and Mary, daughter of Michael Apjohn of Linfield. Richard and Mary's son Michael (1765-1855) succeeded his uncle, Michael Marshall Apjohn and assumed the additional name of Apjohn. The Reverend Michael Marshall Lloyd Upjohn/Apjohn held land in the parishes of Grean, barony of Coonagh and Kilteely, barony of Smallcounty, county Limerick, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. His son, Michael Marshall Lloyd Apjohn of Linfield married Olivia, daughter of Thomas Apjohn Kearney of Sunville in 1854. In the 1870s Michael M. Lloyd Apjohn of Linfield owned 1,003 acres in county Limerick [Hussey de Burgh records this acreage as belonging to the Earl of Normanton, from whom the Apjohns held land in the parish of Kilteely], while Michael Marshall Lloyd [Apjohn] of Ballyvoneen, Pallasgreen, county Limerick, owned 977 acres. In 1861 Isabella Lloyd Apjohn married Desmond John Edmund FitzGerald, who became the Knight of Glin in 1866. The Glin Papers contain some documents relating to the Lloyd Apjohn family. The estate of Michael Marshall ast Kilmacuddy and other lands in the barony of Ikerrin, county Tipperary, amounting to 764 acres was advertised for sale in November 1853. John Lloyd of Lloydsborough was the tenant of Kilmacuddy in 1853 and the immediate lessor at the time of Griffith's Valuation. Property owned by Lloyd Apjohn and others in the barony of Owenbeg, county Limerick, was offered for sale in the Land Judges' Court in February 1889.
Lloyd (Cranagh & Lloydsborough) Early generations of this family married members of the Otway, Blunden and Clutterbuck families. John Lloyd of Cranagh and his wife Deborah Clutterbuck had 6 sons, as mentioned in his will dated 1770. From their fourth son Jesse descend the Lloyds of Lloydsborough and Cranagh and from their fifth son Frederick of Ballymacrease descend the Lloyds of Ballymacrease and Lisheen. The Lloyds of Skehanagh may descend from his third son George. In 1786 Wilson write that Mr. Lloyd was the proprietor of a house at Clashagad, close to the village of Dunkerrin, not far from Roscrea. At the time of Griffith's Valuation the Lloyds held land in the barony of Ikerrin, mainly in the parishes of Borrisnafarney, Bourney, Killea, Templemore and Templetuohy. In the 1870s Emlyn F. Lloyd of Cranagh owned 661 acres, Henry Jesse Lloyd of Lloydsborough owned 1,863 acres, Jesse Lloyd of Camlin, Monaghan, owned 1,438 acres and Richard J. Lloyd of Kilduff, Templemore owned 1,974 acres in county Tipperary.