Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Brown (Mount Brown)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Brown (Clonboy) A family who settled at Clonboy, O'Briensbridge, county Clare in the early 18th century. They married members of prominent families in the locality including the Vincent and Odell families of Limerick. In 1752 John Brown of Danesford and Mount Brown married Meliora daughter and co heir of Colonel Henry Southwell, second son of Thomas Ist Viscount Southwell. From their two sons descend the Browns of Clonboy and the Browns of Mount Brown. Their daughters married Robert Peppard of Cappagh, John Finch, George Hewson and Michael Cantillon Heffernon. Their grandsons resided in a number of houses in the Rathkeale locality of county Limerick in the mid 19th century. In July 1862 lands belonging to Robert Lidwill Brown in the barony of Clanwilliam were advertised for sale. In the 1870s Robert Lidwill Brown of Eden Terrace, Limerick, owned 893 acres in county Clare. He acted as an estate agent for a number of landowners in counties Clare and Limerick.
Brown (Mount Brown) John Southwell Brown held an estate in the parishes of Croagh and Rathkeale, barony of Connello Lower, Killeenagarriff, Kilmurry and Stradbally, barony of Clanwilliam, county Limerick at the time of Griffith’s Valuation. He was a grandson of John Brown of Danesfort and Mount Brown, county Limerick and his wife Meliora Southwell, a granddaughter of 1st Viscount Southwell. In March 1853 Castle Matrix and lands at Rathkeale and Croagh were advertised for sale. They were held on a lease for 99 years Viscount Southwell to John S. Brown, dated 20 September 1849. The senior branch of the family was located at Clonboy, county Clare, although many family members lived in the Rathkeale locality. Colonel Edward Brown of Dromard House, Rathkeale, owned 1,272 acres in county Limerick in the 1870s.