Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Prittie

Family title

Lord Dunalley


Estate(s)

Name Description
Maberly At the time of Griffith's Valuation Lieutenant Colonel Maberly was a lessor of property in the parish of Moore, barony of Moycarn. In the 1870s Colonel William Maberley is recorded as the owner of over 800 acres in county Roscommon and over 2,500 acres in county Tipperary. He resided in London at that time. He appears to be the Colonel William Maberly who was secretary to the English Post Office and the superior to whom the author Anthony Trollope reported in his early years in the postal service. Colonel Maberly's county Tipperary estate was in the parish of Kilmore, barony of Upper Ormond. Part of it held by fee farm grant by the assignees of James O'Meara of Nenagh, was advertised for sale in July 1851. Colonel William Maberly was married to a niece of the 2nd Baron Dunalley.
Prittie (Lord Dunalley) The Prittie family descend from Colonel Henry Prittie who was granted 5,900 acrese in county Tipperary, including Kilboy, in 1666. In 1800 his descendant, Henry Prittie, was created Baron Dunalley of Kilboy, county Tipperary. A note in the Dunalley Papers Ms. 29,806 (136) records the sale of the Kerry estate of this family to the Crosbies in 1742 for £1,500. The Dunalley estate was mainly located in the parishes of Kilmore, barony of Upper Ormond and Modreeny, barony of Lower Ormond but also in the parishes of Dolla,Templederry, Kilmastulla and Kilnarath. In June 1858 estate lands (743 acres) in the barony of Eliogarty and Ikerrin, county Tipperary including Corville and Sheehys and in the barony of Clonlisk (667 acres), King's County (Offaly), were advertised for sale. In the 1870s Lord Dunalley owned 21,081 acres in county Tipperary.
Harrison (Cloghjordan) John Harrison was granted an estate of 1,484 acres in the barony of Lower Ormond, county Tipperary, in 1666 including Cloghjordan. In 1712 Elizabeth daughter of James Harrison of Cloghjordan married Henry Prittie of Kilboy.
O'Byrne John Byrne of Mullinahack, county Dublin, a partner in the firm of that name, married Elizabeth Byrne of Allardstown, county Louth and had a son Edward Henry O'Byrne of Allardstown and Corville, county Tipperary. In 1828 he married a French woman Gertrude de Rey and they were the parents of John Count O'Byrne. Count O'Byrne married in 1864 Eleanor Von Hubner daughter of the Austrian Ambassador to France and Rome. In the mid 19th century Edward H. Byrne held a townland in the parish of Twomileborris, barony of Eliogarty, county Tipperary and in the 1870s his son Count O'Byrne of Corville, Roscrea, owned 2,753 acres in county Tipperary and 1,125 acres in county Louth.