Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Ingoldsby


Estate(s)

Name Description
Kelly/Roche Kelly Descended from an O’Kelly of county Kilkenny, the Kelly family were established in county Limerick by the early 18th century. In 1753 Michael Kelly married Christian, daughter of John Roche of Limerick and Ballintlea, parish of Kilfintinan, barony of Bunratty Lower, county Clare. They had two sons, John Peter Kelly of Ballintlea and Firgrove, parish of Drumline, barony of Bunratty Lower, who purchased the estates of the Ingoldsby Massy family in county Limerick in 1811 and Thomas Kelly, of Shannonview, county Limerick, who died in 1869 leaving two daughters. John Peter's son, James Michael Kelly of Rockstown Castle, county Limerick and Cahircon, county Clare, was Member of Parliament for county Limerick 1844-1847 and in 1834 married Frances Maria, only daughter of Edward Roche of Trabolgan, county Cork and sister of the 1st Baron Fermoy. She directed that all her grandchildren should adopt the surname Roche-Kelly. At the time of Griffith's Valuation James Kelly held an estate in the parishes of Caherelly, Ludden and Rochestown, barony of Clanwilliam and Fedamore in the baronies of Clanwilliam and Smallcounty. In the 1870s his representative owned 2177 acres in county Limerick, 2826 acres in county Kildare and 433 acres in county Dublin. By the 1870s Fitzjames Kelly of Ballintlea owned 184 acres in county Clare while Michael Kelly of Firgrove owned 158 acres. An estate of 1,700 acres in county Mayo, belonging to Michael Roche-Kelly of Firgrove, Bunratty, county Clare, was vested in the Congested Districts' Board on 11 Dec 1913. Members of the Roche-Kelly family still reside at Ballintlea.
Ingoldsby (Cos Limerick & Clare) Henry and George Ingoldsby were Cromwellian soldiers who settled in county Limerick where they were granted lands in the mid 17th century. They were sons of Richard Ingoldsby and Elizabeth Cromwell. Henry Ingoldsby married a daughter of Sir Hardress Waller and George married Mary Gould, daughter of J. Goold and Thomasin daughter of Sir Thomas Browne of Hospital, county Limerick. Sir George Ingoldsby by his marriage to Mary Goold came to possess the lands of Corbally, north of Limerick city. The Reverend Fitzgerald records that he was also granted Ballybricken castle in the parish of Ludden, barony of Clanwilliam and a large tract of land around it. In 1712 his daughter Barbara married William Smythe of Barbavilla, county Westmeath. His son Richard Ingoldsby bought Carton in county Kildare in 1703 and represented Limerick city in Parliament from 1703 to 1712. Richard married Frances Naper of Loughcrew, county Meath and they had an only son Henry, who married a daughter of Sir Constantine Phipps. Henry Ingoldsby was a Lord Justice of Ireland and was Member of Parliament for Limerick city 1713-1714 and 1727-1731. He died in 1731 leaving two daughters Catherine and Frances his co heiresses. In 1734 Catherine married her cousin James Lennox Naper (later Dutton) of Loughcrew, a landowner in counties Meath and Westmeath. She died in 1742 leaving a son John Dutton, who died unmarried. By the 1730s the Ingoldsby estates were heavily encumbered, Carton was sold in 1738 to the Earl of Kildare. Frances was sent to live with her cousins the Blennerhassetts at Riddlestown, parish of Doondonnell, county Limerick. In 1743 she was abducted by Hugh Fitzjohn Massy (a first cousin of the 1st Baron Massy) from the rectory at Nantinan, barony of Connello Lower, where she was staying with the rector Reverend Thomas Royse and his wife, who had Ingoldsby connections. Frances and Hugh were married and he acquired the Limerick estates of his wife. They had a son and a daughter. The son Hugh Ingoldsby Massy of New-Garden married Anne Nash in 1769 and they had a son also named Hugh Ingoldsby Massy. Sir George Ingoldsby's brother Henry Ingoldsby also became a baronet and was granted many denominations of land under the Cromwellian settlement in county Clare. Lodge refers to Charles Ingoldsby of Clonderalagh, county Clare, a younger son of Sir Henry Ingoldsby of Beggstown, county Meath. Charles Ingoldsby held an estate in the barony of Clonderalaw, county Clare at the beginning of the 18th century. His daughter Angel or Anne married Robert Dillon 7th Earl of Roscommon.
Hunt (Limerick & Tipperary) Burke's ''Landed Gentry of Ireland'' (1904) states that Henry Hunt obtained Friarstown, county Limerick, from Henry Ingoldsby of Cartown [Carton, county Kildare] in April 1730. His third son, another Henry Hunt, lived at Clorane, Kildimo, county Limerick. From his eldest son, Vere, descend the Hunts of Friarstown. The Ordnance Survey Name Books record Vere Hunt holding Friarstown North on a lease renewable for ever from the Reverend Richard Maunsell of Drehidtrasna, Adare. In the 1870s John T.U. Hunt of Friarstown owned 730 acres in county Limerick. Junior branches of the Hunt family of Friarstown, county Limerick, descend from the Reverend John Hunt of High Park, county Tipperary and Thomas Hunt who married Dorothea Bloomfield of Redwood, county Tipperary in 1798. John and Thomas were younger sons of Vere Hunt of Friarstown. De Vere Hunt held at least 8 townlands in the parish of Toem at the time of Griffith's Valuation, while George and Robert Hunt also had estates in this parish. In November 1852 the estate of the trustees of the settlement of Vere Dawson White at Cappagh was advertised for sale in 7 lots. It included the dwelling house and demesne of Cappagh, John Dwyer tenant. In May 1868 the estate of Robert Langley Hunt at Prospect and Kyle, barony of Middlethird, county Tipperary was advertised for sale and in June 1883 his estate at Kyle was for sale again but there were no bids. Kyle was held on a fee farm grant of 1850 from Wray Palliser to Mathew Richard Millet. In the 1870s Vere Hunt of High Park owned 755 acres in county Tipperary. At the same time the representatives of Robert L. Hunt of Cooleney owned 655 acres, the representatives of George Hunt of Currahbridge owned 2,790 acres and F. Robert Hunt of Julian's Hall, Monkstown, owned 2,245 acres all in county Tipperary. The estate of Matthew de Vere Hunt at Huntsgrove, Gortnagowna, 257 acres in the barony of Upper Ormond, was advertised for sale in February 1871. He died in New Zealand. Parts of the estate of John Hunt at Shanballyduff, county Tipperary, were sold in the Landed Estates in November 1860. They were purchased by James Armstrong, in trust and by a Mr. Mason.
Barry (Friarstown) A junior branch of the Barrys of Buttevant, county Cork, settled in the barony of Clanwilliam, county Limerick, in the 16th century. By the mid 17th century they were established at Friarstown, which they possibly acquired under the protection of the Ingoldsby family. Later they held much of their estate from the Kellys who purchased the Ingoldsby Massy estate. John Barry of Friarstown married Mary O'Shaughnessy and they had three sons, James of Bellevue, Thomas of Caherline and John of Sandville. The estate of Thomas Barry at Ballysallagh, Caherline and Bawnbee, barony of Clanwilliam, was advertised for sale in March 1860. The Barry estate was in the parish of Rochestown and in the 1870s amounted to 644 acres belonging to James Grene Barry of Sandville. By the mid 19th century James Barry of Sandville had acquired the townland of Ballyphilip, parish of Croom, barony of Coshma, formerly the property of the Yielding family. see http://www.libraryireland.com/Pedigrees1/Barry3Ithe.php