Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Bury (Little Island & Curraghbridge)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Bury (Little Island & Curraghbridge) A branch of the Bury family, Earls of Charleville, descended from Phineas Bury of Little Island, county Cork, fifth son of John Bury of Shannon Grove, county Limerick. "Irish Family Records" records Thomas fourth son of John Bury as "of Curraghbridge". At the time of Griffith's Valuation Phineas Bury of Little Island and Curraghbridge, Adare, county Limerick, held 3 townlands in the parish of Adare, barony of Kenry, including Curraghbridge. Phineas died in 1853. Eliza Bury [his widow] held land in the parish of Little Island from the Earl of Limerick at the time of Griffith's Valuation. In the 1870s their son Phineas Bury of Little Island, Queenstown, county Cork, owned 603 acres in county Limerick and 890 acres in county Cork. Phineas Bury's uncle the Reverend Robert Bury of Carrigrenane, county Cork, married Letitia Barry of Ballyclogh, county Cork, the Bury Barry family. At the time of Griffith's Valuation the Reverend R. Bury held land in the parishes of Ballydeloher and Little Island, barony of Barrymore.
Bury (Shannongrove) Phineas Bury was granted almost 6,000 acres in the barony of Kenry, county Limerick in 1666 and 588 acres in the barony of Mogunnihy, county Kerry in 1669. His second son, John Bury, settled at Shannon Grove, county Limerick. In 1703 John Bury purchased parts of the confiscated estates of Sir Drury Wray and King James II in the barony of Kenry. county Limerick. ''Irish Family Records'' records John's fourth son, Thomas, "of Curraghbridge". The descendants of John's eldest son, William, continued to reside at Shannon Grove until at least the mid 18th century. Charles William Bury of Charleville Forest, county Offaly, was created Earl of Charleville in 1806. His father, John Bury of Shannon Grove (1725-1764,) succeeded to the estates of his maternal uncle, Charles Moore, Earl of Charleville, in February 1764, and thereafter his branch of the family was resident in King's County [county Offaly]. The Ordnance Survey Name Books show Lord Charleville as a main proprietor in the parishes of Ardcanny, Chapelrussell, Kilcornan and Kildimo, barony of Kenry. His agent was his cousin, Reverend Robert Bury of Killora Bridge, Cork. Members of the Westropp, Fitzgerald, De Vere and Waller families were some of the main tenants on the Earl's Limerick estate. By the time of Griffith's Valuation. however. most of the Earl's property in the parishes of Chapelrussell, Kilcornan and Kildimo was in the possession of General Caulfeild. Ó Corrbuí gives details of two sales of Bury lands in 1844 including a large acreage to General James Caulfeild. The earldom became extinct in 1875 following the death of the 5th Earl of Charleville.
Barry (Ballyclogh) The Barry family, 'McAdam Barry', were established at Lisnagar, Rathcormack and Ballyclough, county Cork, in the 17th century. In 1750 James Barry of Ballyclough succeeded his cousin, Redmond Barry of Rathcormack and in 1765 James married Elizabeth, daughter and co heiress of Abraham Greene of Ballymacreese, county Limerick. At the time of Griffith's Valuation their grandson, James Barry, held land in the parishes of Glanworth and Kilgullane, barony of Fermoy, Kilcrumper and Kilgullane, barony of Condons and Clangibbon., county Cork, and Lismore and Mocollop, barony of Coshmore and Coshbride, county Waterford. James Barry married Olivia Maria Drew, sole heiress of Francis Drew of Mocollop Castle, county Waterford in 1841. They had no children. In the 1870s Captain James Barry of Ballyclogh owned 3,910 acres in county Cork and 6,955 acres in county Waterford. The Waterford estate included property in the parish of Affane, barony of Decies without Drum. James died in 1881 and was succeeded by his brother and then in 1888 by his grand-nephew, James Robert Bury, who took the additional name of Barry.