Landed Estates
NUI Galway

De Vere


Estate(s)

Name Description
De Vere This family were descended from Vere Hunt, a Cromwellian soldier who was granted land in county Limerick and at Glangoole, county Tipperary in the mid 17th century. John Hunt of Glangoul purchased 177 acres in the barony of Kenry, county Limerick in 1703. In 1784 a descendant, also named Vere Hunt, was created a baronet. The 1st Baronet married Elinor Pery, sister of the 1st Earl of Limerick. Their son, Sir Aubrey, assumed in 1832 the surname of De Vere only. He wrote poems, developed the estate and married Mary Rice of Mount Trenchard, county Limerick. They had five sons, none of whom left male heirs so Currah Chase passed to the descendants of their daughter Elinor who married Robert O'Brien. Robert Stephen Vere O'Brien, grandson of Elinor, succeeded to Currah Chase in 1898 and assumed the name De Vere in 1899. In the 1870s the De Vere estate was comprised of over 4,000 acres in county Limerick. In the mid 19th century the De Vere estate was mainly in the parishes of Kilcornan and Adare, barony of Kenry and Kilmeedy, barony of Connello Upper, county Limerick and in the parishes of Kilcooly and Fennor, barony of Slievardagh, county Tipperary. The agent in the early 1840s was Stephen Edward De Vere. The Hollypark demesne was advertised for sale in December 1854, Catherine Taylor, widow, was the petitioner. The county Tipperary property, comprised of over 6,000 acres and including coal mines at Glangoole, was advertised for sale in June 1855. This sale rental is annotated with the names of some of the purchasers.
Hunt (Limerick & Tipperary) Burke's ''Landed Gentry of Ireland'' (1904) states that Henry Hunt obtained Friarstown, county Limerick, from Henry Ingoldsby of Cartown [Carton, county Kildare] in April 1730. His third son, another Henry Hunt, lived at Clorane, Kildimo, county Limerick. From his eldest son, Vere, descend the Hunts of Friarstown. The Ordnance Survey Name Books record Vere Hunt holding Friarstown North on a lease renewable for ever from the Reverend Richard Maunsell of Drehidtrasna, Adare. In the 1870s John T.U. Hunt of Friarstown owned 730 acres in county Limerick. Junior branches of the Hunt family of Friarstown, county Limerick, descend from the Reverend John Hunt of High Park, county Tipperary and Thomas Hunt who married Dorothea Bloomfield of Redwood, county Tipperary in 1798. John and Thomas were younger sons of Vere Hunt of Friarstown. De Vere Hunt held at least 8 townlands in the parish of Toem at the time of Griffith's Valuation, while George and Robert Hunt also had estates in this parish. In November 1852 the estate of the trustees of the settlement of Vere Dawson White at Cappagh was advertised for sale in 7 lots. It included the dwelling house and demesne of Cappagh, John Dwyer tenant. In May 1868 the estate of Robert Langley Hunt at Prospect and Kyle, barony of Middlethird, county Tipperary was advertised for sale and in June 1883 his estate at Kyle was for sale again but there were no bids. Kyle was held on a fee farm grant of 1850 from Wray Palliser to Mathew Richard Millet. In the 1870s Vere Hunt of High Park owned 755 acres in county Tipperary. At the same time the representatives of Robert L. Hunt of Cooleney owned 655 acres, the representatives of George Hunt of Currahbridge owned 2,790 acres and F. Robert Hunt of Julian's Hall, Monkstown, owned 2,245 acres all in county Tipperary. The estate of Matthew de Vere Hunt at Huntsgrove, Gortnagowna, 257 acres in the barony of Upper Ormond, was advertised for sale in February 1871. He died in New Zealand. Parts of the estate of John Hunt at Shanballyduff, county Tipperary, were sold in the Landed Estates in November 1860. They were purchased by James Armstrong, in trust and by a Mr. Mason.