Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Croker


Estate(s)

Name Description
Taylor (Dunkerron South) Lewis records Dr. Taylor, an eminent member of the Cork Scientific Institution, as resident at Dunkerron Castle, in Templenoe parish in 1837. Over 10,000 acres of the estate of Adrian Taylor, in which members of the Orpen and Warren families had an interest, were offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court in May 1855. In the 1870s Adrian Taylor, MD, of Kilgarvan, was the owner of over 2000 acres in county Kerry
Orpen (Glanarought) Burke describes the Orpen family as claiming great antiquity. They settled in Ireland after the Cromwellian wars and married into some of the other influential families in county Kerry including the Herberts. Richard Orpen was agent for Sir William Petty on his county Kerry estates. Over 4000 acres of the estate of Richard Becher Opren in the barony of Glanarought were offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court in November 1852. The petitioner was John B. Warren, who later acquired parts of the Orpen lands in this area. Over 10,000 acres of the estate of Adrian Taylor, in which members of the Orpen and Warren families had an interest, were offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court in May 1855. Richard J.T. Orpen was one of the principal lessors in the parishes of Kenmare and Kilgravan at the time of Griffith's Valuation. In the 1870s the estate of the late Sir Richard Orpen amounted to over 12,000 acres in county Kerry as well as 300 acres in county Cork. The representatives of F.H. Orpen were the proprietors of 800 acres in county Kerry at the same time.
Croker (Quartertown) Major Henry Croker of Quarterstown, county Cork was the fifth son of John Croker of Ballynaguarde, county Limerick. In 1793, Henry married Harriet, daughter and heiress of Arthur Dillon of Quarterstown, county Cork and they had five sons. Over 3000 acres owned by John and Henry Dillon Croker, in the barony of Glanarought, county Kerry, the estate of Quartertown, Mallow, county Cork and houses in the city of Limerick, were offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court in January 1851. The Freeman's Journal gives details of the purchasers. Some of the Kerry property was occupied by the Orpen estate and it is clear that a legal dispute on the subject had occurred in the 1840s. Part of Quartertown Lower, including Wilton, was purchased by Kingsmill Brady in 1851 and was advertised for sale again in November 1876. In the 1870s John D. Croker owned 33 acres in the county. Richard Welstead Croker generally known as "Boss Croker" was a nephew of John D. Croker.