Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Westropp (Mellon & Ballysteen)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Gore (Baronet) In the mid 1850s Sir St George Gore, 8th Baronet, held at least 15 townlands in the parishes of Boyounagh, Dunmore and Templetogher, barony of Ballymoe, county Galway. This branch of the Gore family had inherited the estates of Sir Richard St George of Dunmore, county Galway through a marriage in the early 18th century with a niece of Sir Richard's, namely Elizabeth Ashe, daughter of the Reverend St George Ashe, Bishop of Clogher. Sir George St George, father of Richard, had been granted over 8,000 acres in the baronies of Dunmore, Ballymoe and Tiaquin by patent dated 18 Dec 1666. In the late 18th century Sir Ralph Gore, 6th baronet and Earl of Ross from 1771, sold the Dunmore part of his county Galway estates to Sir George Shee. In 1872 estates in counties Limerick (1,657 acres), Galway (4,139 acres), King's County [county Offaly], Cavan, Dublin and Meath, belonging to Sir St George Gore, totaling over 9,000 acres, were advertised for sale. The county Galway estate was the largest amounting to 4,139 acres in the barony of Ballymoe. By March 1916 the Gores had accepted an offer from the Congested Districts' Board for over 2,500 acres of their county Galway estate. The Gores county Limerick estate was in the parish of Kildimo, barony of Kenry. St George Gore acted as agent to his father Sir Ralph Gore, London, in the early 1840s. The Westropps of Mellon leased the Gore estate in county Limerick.
Westropp (Ballysteen) A junior branch of the Attyflin family, Burke writes that Thomas Westropp of Mellon, county Limerick purchased Ballysteen from the Chichester House Commissioners in June 1703. He married Elizabeth Bury of Shannongrove, county Limerick. The Westropps of Mellon are descended from their second son Mountiford Westropp. The descendants of their eldest son Thomas continued to live at Ballysteen until the death of General John Westropp in 1825. He had no children and was succeeded by his sister Sara who married Thomas Odell of Ballingarry, county Limerick, their third son Edmond assumed the surname of Westropp. In the early 1850s Edmund Westropp held 2 townlands in the parish of Iveruss, barony of Kenry, one of them from the Earl of Carrick. Richard Westropp of Ballysteen owned 374 acres in county Limerick in the 1870s.
Westropp (Mellon) The Westropps of Mellon, county Limerick are descended from Mountiford, second son of Thomas Westropp of Mellon who died circa 1744. In 1813 Mountiford's grandson also named Mountiford married Jane daughter of Charles Dawson of Charlesfort, county Wexford. Mrs Jane Westropp held townlands in the parishes of Kildimo and Ardcanny, barony of Kenry in the early 1850s, some of them were leased from Sir St George Gore. Her son Dawson Westropp succeeded to Mellon and his younger brother inherited the Dawson property in county Wexford (Westropp-Dawson family). Dawson L. Westropp owned 930 acres in county Limerick in the 1870s. His granddaughters were still in possession of Mellon and Cartown in the 1970s. Henry Westropp of Richmond Villa was a grandson of Thomas Westropp of Mellon. His grandson Henry Westropp of Green Park, was High Sheriff of Limerick in 1865 and Member of Parliament for Bridgewater.
Westropp (Ballynolan & Ardcanny) The Reverend Thomas Westropp held an estate in the parishes of Stradbally and Killeenagarriff, barony of Clanwilliam, county Limerick, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. He was rector of Ardcanny and Prebendary of Limerick. He was a son of the Reverend Thomas Westropp, rector of Doonass, county Clare and his wife Eliza Stacpoole of Cragbrien and a descendent of Thomas Westropp of Mellon and his wife Elizabeth Bury. He married three times and in the 1870s owned 581 acres in county Limerick.