Landed Estates
NUI Galway



Name Description
Delmege The French "Palatine" family of Delmege or Dolmage were settled at Rathkeale in county Limerick in the early 18th century and acquired a considerable amount of property. By the end of the 18th century their main residence was at Castle Park near the city of Limerick. Tobias Delmege resided at Court Lodge in the parish of Rathkeale circa 1840. At the time of Griffith’s Valuation Christopher T. Delmege held three townlands in the parish of St Munchins, barony of Bunratty Lower, county Clare. At the same time his county Limerick estate was located in the parishes of Clonagh, Kilbradran and Nantinan, barony of Connello Lower, Rathronan, barony of Shanid, Mahoonagh, barony of Glenquin and St Munchins, barony of North Liberties of Limerick. In 1853 he bought the Yielding estate near Croom. He was married to Martha, daughter of John Yielding of Glenastar. In the early 1850s the Reverend John Delmege held lands in the parishes of Croom and Adare, barony of Coshma, county Limerick and in the 1870s his representatives owned 525 acres in the county. Lands in the barony of Coshma, amounting to 350 acres, were advertised for sale in November 1875. In the 1870s John Christopher Delmege owned 1,641 acres in county Clare, 3,066 acres in county Limerick and 77 acres in county Cork. His Glensharrold estate was the scene of large scale public attention during the tenant right agitation of the 1880s. Lands in the barony of Clare, county Galway, owned by Julius A. Delemge and Mary Agnes Kelly, were sold in the Landed Estates Court in January 1872. They were purchased in trust by W. Keating Clay, Charles O'Farrell, Thomas Kearney and John Blake. The head of the Delmege family was resident in Australia in the 1970s.
Yielding/Yeilding The Yielding family were established in county Limerick from the mid 18th century and lived at Bellevue on their Glensharrold estate at Croom. A branch of the family were also resident in county Kerry and intermarried with the Blennerhassett family. Samuel Yielding of Youghal, county Cork, was the proprietor of over 700 acres in county Kerry in the 1870s, principally in the baronies of Corkaguiny and Trughanacmy. He also owned over 1,000 acres in county Cork. The Ordnance Survey Name Books record A. Yielding as a proprietor in the parish of Ballinvoher, barony of Corkaguiny, county Kerry in the 1830s. In the early 19th century John Yielding built Glenastar Lodge in county Limerick. In the mid 19th century his brothers William R. Yielding and Richard Massey Yielding held lands in the parishes of Ardagh and Dunmoylan, Kilcolman and Rathronan, barony of Shanid, county Limerick. The estate of Richard Massy Yeilding at Aghavole, held on a lease from Richard Rose dated 1757 and at Knockfinisk, held on a lease from Sir Mathew Barrington dated 1844, were advertised for sale in August 1852. Both properties were in the barony of Connello Lower and amounted to over 3,200 acres. Richard Massey Yielding and Agar Yielding emigrated to Canada. In 1853 Christopher Delmege purchased the Glensharrold estate, including Bellevu, from the Yieldings. He married Martha, a daughter of John Yeilding. Other land at Carrigkerry, barony of Shanid, county Limerick, the estate of Richard M. Yeilding and Hugh Eldon Yeilding was advertised for sale in July 1863. In the 1870s Mary M. Yielding, widow of William R. Yeilding owned 1,159 acres in county Limerick, while Henry E. Yielding of Kilkeel, county Clare, owned 690 acres in county Limerick.
Barry (Friarstown) A junior branch of the Barrys of Buttevant, county Cork, settled in the barony of Clanwilliam, county Limerick, in the 16th century. By the mid 17th century they were established at Friarstown, which they possibly acquired under the protection of the Ingoldsby family. Later they held much of their estate from the Kellys who purchased the Ingoldsby Massy estate. John Barry of Friarstown married Mary O'Shaughnessy and they had three sons, James of Bellevue, Thomas of Caherline and John of Sandville. The estate of Thomas Barry at Ballysallagh, Caherline and Bawnbee, barony of Clanwilliam, was advertised for sale in March 1860. The Barry estate was in the parish of Rochestown and in the 1870s amounted to 644 acres belonging to James Grene Barry of Sandville. By the mid 19th century James Barry of Sandville had acquired the townland of Ballyphilip, parish of Croom, barony of Coshma, formerly the property of the Yielding family. see