Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Vyse


Estate(s)

Name Description
O'Brien (Birchfield) Cornelius O'Brien was the son of Henry O'Brien of Ennis, county Clare and Helen O'Callaghan of Kilgorey. In 1816 he married Margaret, daughter of Peter Long of Waterford and widow of James O’Brien of Limerick. Trained in the Law Cornelius O'Brien represented county Clare in Parliament from 1832 to 1847. He regained his seat in July 1852 and died in 1857. In the early 1850s he purchased some of the estate of the Crowe family. At the time of Griffith's Valuation he held land in six baronies of county Clare but his estate was mainly located in the parish of Kilmacrehy, barony of Corcomroe and in the parishes of Dysert and Inagh, barony of Inchiquin and Feakle, barony of Tulla Upper. His son George O'Brien entered the King's Inns in 1855 under 20 years of age and married Helen Butler of Bunnahow. George O'Brien died in 1867. The Birchfield property then passed to Cornelius Keogh by his marriage to Mary O’Brien, youngest daughter of Cornelius O'Brien. William Henry McGrath, stated to be a brother in law of George O'Brien when entering the King's Inns, came into possession of Cornelius O’Brien’s Toonagh estate by his marriage to Bridget O’Brien in 1852. George O'Brien married Ellen, daughter of William Butler of Bunnahow. She married secondly Charles Vyse of Fermoy, county Cork, who is recorded as owning 1,340 acres in county Clare in the 1870s. The estate of Charles Vyse amounting to 1,677 acres in the barony of Corcomroe including part of Birchfield and Seamount House was advertised for sale in April 1880. The sale rental gives details of the O'Brien title to the Birchfield estate. see http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclare/people/cornelius_obrien/cornelius_obrien.htm and http://www.burrenpage.com/corneyobrien.html
Vize At the time of Griffith's Valuation John Bennett Vize held land at Clonmoyle East, parish of Aghabulloge, barony of East Muskerry, county Cork, however it appears to have been heavily encumbered and was offered for sale in March 1854 with part of the lands of Derry, barony of Barretts [East Muskerry] and premises in the city of Cork. The original leases were from Robert Davies to Robert Vize 1787 and from Daniel Gibbs to James Vize 1774. see http://www.stephen.balsbaugh.name/genealogy/wrixon/okief/vol15.doc There were also Vizes in the Clonmel area of county Tipperary in the late 18th century. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Edward B. Vise held land in the parish of Mora, barony of Middlethird, county Tipperary. The estate of the Reverend Joseph Vize at Springfield was advertised for sale in October and December 1852.