Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Franks (Carrig Park)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Ryves In 1667 William and John Ryves were granted over a thousand acres in the barony of Coslea and 168 acres in county Kerry. The record in the grant book includes reference to the will of their father Colonel William Ryves deceased. By the beginning of the 19th century there appear to be two branches of the Ryves family settled at Ryves Castle, barony of Coshlea and Newgarden, barony of Clanwilliam, county Limerick. Francis and Edward Ryves were sons of William Ryves and Jane Gore who married in 1733. William Ryves of Ryves Castle married Francis Warren and their son William married Frances Harding. William Ryves held land in the parishes of Ballingarry and Ballyscadden, barony of Coshlea, at the time of Griffith's Valuation while Hugh Ryves held land in the parishes of Ballyscadden and Galbally. Edward Ryves and Catherine Massy of Stoneville were the parents of Hugh Massy Ryves. Hugh Massy Richard Ryves rental of lands in the barony of Coshlea, county Limerick and the barony of Tulla Upper, county Clare, was advertised for sale in August 1850. Part of the county Clare property was held by Maurice O'Connell of Kilgory. The Franks family purchased much of the Ryves estate post 1850, it was first advertised for sale in March 1852. However the Franks did not buy all the Ryves estate as a copy memorial (P40/61) in the Ryan of Scarteen Papers shows that Edward Reeves of 7 Lower FitzWilliam Square, Dublin, bought Scarteen and Rathgullane in May 1852 for £5,050. The sale rental shows that these townlands were leased to the representatives of Thaddeus Richard Ryan and an excellent dwelling house and offices had recently been built. William H. Ryves, England, owned 246 acres in county Limerick in the 1870s. http://members.iinet.net.au/~nickred/trees/ryves.PDF
Franks (Carrig Park) A family who settled in King's county (county Offaly) in the mid 17th century, later generations moved to county Limerick and then to county Cork. A residence named Cloughry [Cloghera], south of Broadford, was the residence of the Franks family in county Clare in 1778 and 1786. Griffith's Valuation records William H. Franks holding land in the parish of O'Briensbridge, barony of Tulla Lower, county Clare and in the parishes of Grange, barony of Glenquin, Ballingarry, barony of Connello Upper and Darragh, barony of Coshlea, county Limerick and in the parishes of Carrigleamleary and Rahan, barony of Fermoy, county Cork. In the 1870s Thomas Franks of Carrig Park owned 1,255 acres in county Cork and 1,234 acres in county Limerick. In February 1873 the estate of the trustees of the will of William Hume Franks in counties Clare, Limerick and Cork amounting to a total of 1408 acres was advertised for sale. The purchasers included W.M. Jones and David Howe. Thomas Franks aunt was married to Sir Charles Denham O. Jephson Norreys Baronet of Mallow Castle. Matthew and Thomas Franks also held land in the parishes of Darragh and Particles.
Franks (Ballyscadden) The Franks of Meadstown, county Cork and Ballyscadden, county Limerick, share a common ancestry with the Franks of Carrig Park. Matthew Franks of Moorestown, county Limerick, had three sons, Henry of Moorestown, county Limerick and Meadstown, county Cork, Thomas of Ballymagooly, county Cork and Welstead of Kilfinnan, county Limerick. From Thomas of Ballymagooly descend the Franks of Garrettstown and Ballyscaddane. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Henry Franks, grandson of Henry, held land in the parishes of Farahy and Kildorrery, barony of Fermoy. He was also "of Gortnavidera, county Tipperary". Sir John Franks, a distinguished lawyer and Judge of the Supreme Court of Bengal, was a younger son of Thomas Franks of Ballymagooly, county Cork. He married his cousin, Catherine Franks of Carrig, county Cork, and had two sons and three daughters. The Franks family bought the Ryves estate in the early 1850s and Sir John's eldest son is referred to as John Franks of Ballyscaddane in Burke's ''Landed Gentry of Ireland'' (1904). John Franks of Ballyscadane owned over 3,196 acres in county Limerick in the 1870s. The Franks still owned Ballyscaddane at the beginning of the 20th century.