Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Wilson (Caherconlish)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Wilson (Caherconlish) Sir Ralph Wilson, knight, was granted 830 acres in the barony of Clanwilliam, including Caherconlish and the South Liberties of Limerick in 1666. A deed of 1784 shows that the Wilsons were leasing Tervoe and other lands to the Monsells on a lease renewable for ever. Charles M. Wilson was the son of Thomas Maunsell Wilson of Cahirconlish, county Limerick and the Honourable Isabella Monck, daughter of the 1st Viscount Monck, who married in 1816. Charles Monck Wilson married Alice Maria, daughter of the Reverend Hugh Edward Prior. Their only son, Charles William Wilson, was born in 1870. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Charles M. Wilson held an estate in the parish of Caherconlish, barony of Clanwilliam. In June 1866 this estate and his lands at Finleamore and Kilmore, barony of Tulla Lower, county Clare were advertised for sale. Caherconlish was bought by Daniel F. Gabbett of Strand House. Later, in July 1868, 7000 acres owned by Charles Monck Wilson in the barony of Erris, county Mayo were sold to Mr. Jameson in the Landed Estates Court. [927 acres belonging to Mary Wilson were vested in the Congested Districts' Board on 21 November 1912].
Gabbett (Strand House) Daniel Gabbett of Strand House was the third son of William Gabbett of Caherline, near Limerick city, and his wife, Jane Maunsell of Ballywilliam. In 1795, Daniel Gabbett of Strand House, county Limerick, married Alicia FitzGerald of Carrigoran, county Clare and they had six sons Their fifth son, the Reverend Joseph Gabbett of Ardvullen and Shelburne, county Limerick owned over 3,500 acres in county Limerick in the 1870s. At the same time their grandson, Daniel Fitzgerald Gabbett of Oldcourt, Caherconlish, is recorded as owning 1,193 acres in the same county. Daniel F. Gabbett was a son of Daniel Gabbett. He was Member of Parliament for Limerick city from 1879-1885. Part of his estate at Caherconlish with other lands amounting to over a thousand acres was advertised for sale in November 1883. Windham Gabbett of Mount Rivers, county Tipperary, was his brother. The Irish Times reported the adjournment of the sale due to absence of bidding.