Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Smyth (Castle Widenham)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Smyth (Castle Widenham) At the time of Griffith's Valuation Grice R. Smith held land in the parishes of Ardnageehy and Kilquane, barony of Barrymore, county Cork. His estate of 1,325 acres in the barony of Barrymore was advertised for sale in January 1853. In November 1864 the rental of the estate of Henry John Smyth at Cloongaheen in the barony of Tulla Lower, county Clare and at Graigue in the barony of Pubble Brien, county Limerick and in the North Liberties of the city of Limerick, amounting to a total of 1042 acres, with a house in Dublin, was advertised for sale in the Landed Estates' Court. The rental includes reference to Grice Richard Smyth. Henry John Widenham Smyth was a brother of Grice R. Smyth and succeeded him at Castle Widenham in 1861. This Smyth family was a junior branch of the Smyths of Ballynatray, county Waterford. In 1819 Henry Mitchell Smyth married Priscilla Widenham daughter of John Brasier Creagh of Castle Creagh and his wife Elizabeth sole heir of Charles Widenham of Castle Widenham, county Cork. Grice Richard and Henry John were their sons. In the mid 19th century Henry M. Smith held land in the parishes of Castletownroche and Kilcummer, barony of Fermoy. In the 1870s Henry John Smith of Castle Widenham owned 286 acres in county Cork.
Smyth (Ballynatray) The Smyths were settled in county Waterford from Elizabethan times. In the 17th century Richard Smyth of Ballynatray, county Waterford, married as his second wife Alice, daughter and co heir of Richard Grice of Ballycullane, county Limerick, and had a son Grice Smyth from whom descend the Smyths of Ballynatray. In the mid 19th century Ballynatray passed by marriage to Charlotte Mary wife of Charles William Moore, who succeded his brother as Earl Mount Cashell. They took the additional name of Smyth. In November 1861 their estate of 1,673 acres in the barony of Coshlea and liberties of Kilmallock, county Limerick (the Grice estate) was advertised for sale. In the 1870s the Honourable C.W.M. Smyth of Ballinatray owned over 7000 acres in county Waterford as well as 272 acres in county Limerick. In the 1890s Ballynatray was inherited by the eldest daughter of Earl Mount Cashell, Lady Harriette Gertrude Isabella Smyth, who had married in 1872 Colonel John Henry Graham Holroyd. They assumed the name of Smyth. Captain J.R. Smyth who owned 799 acres in county Tipperary and 2 acres in county Dublin in the 1870s may have been a member of this family. His agent was James Cahill of Blenaleim, Carrick on Suir.