Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Fitzgerald (Sorrel Island)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Fitzgerald (Sorrel Island) In 1800 Henry Gonne Molony leased lands in the baronies of Islands and Clonderalaw, county Clare, to the Reverend Michael Fitzgerald. Reverend Michael Fitzgerald was rector of Killadysert and Archdeacon of Limerick. He married Frances Morony, daughter of Thomas Harrison Morony of Milltown House. In 1834 the lease was renewed to the Reverend Charles Fitzgerald. The lands involved in this lease amounted to 2,960 acres and included a house on Illaunatoo or Sorrel Island. They were advertised for sale in April 1861. The Irish Times reports that these lands were purchases by Messers. Ashe, Crowley and Dr Ryan. The house, which was in the possession of Dorothea Fitzgerald, was also advertised for sale in 1863.