Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Ryves


Estate(s)

Name Description
Ryves In 1667 William and John Ryves were granted over a thousand acres in the barony of Coslea and 168 acres in county Kerry. The record in the grant book includes reference to the will of their father Colonel William Ryves deceased. By the beginning of the 19th century there appear to be two branches of the Ryves family settled at Ryves Castle, barony of Coshlea and Newgarden, barony of Clanwilliam, county Limerick. Francis and Edward Ryves were sons of William Ryves and Jane Gore who married in 1733. William Ryves of Ryves Castle married Francis Warren and their son William married Frances Harding. William Ryves held land in the parishes of Ballingarry and Ballyscadden, barony of Coshlea, at the time of Griffith's Valuation while Hugh Ryves held land in the parishes of Ballyscadden and Galbally. Edward Ryves and Catherine Massy of Stoneville were the parents of Hugh Massy Ryves. Hugh Massy Richard Ryves rental of lands in the barony of Coshlea, county Limerick and the barony of Tulla Upper, county Clare, was advertised for sale in August 1850. Part of the county Clare property was held by Maurice O'Connell of Kilgory. The Franks family purchased much of the Ryves estate post 1850, it was first advertised for sale in March 1852. However the Franks did not buy all the Ryves estate as a copy memorial (P40/61) in the Ryan of Scarteen Papers shows that Edward Reeves of 7 Lower FitzWilliam Square, Dublin, bought Scarteen and Rathgullane in May 1852 for £5,050. The sale rental shows that these townlands were leased to the representatives of Thaddeus Richard Ryan and an excellent dwelling house and offices had recently been built. William H. Ryves, England, owned 246 acres in county Limerick in the 1870s. http://members.iinet.net.au/~nickred/trees/ryves.PDF
Ryan (Scarteen) The Ryan family were settled at Ballyvistea, county Tipperary, close to the county Limerick border from the end of the 17th century and before the end of the 18th century were also located at Scarteen in county Limerick. The sale rental for the Ryves estate dated 30 March 1852 records a lease of Scarteen and Rathgullane from William Ryves to Thaddeus Richard Ryan, dated 17 July 1840. John Ryan is recorded in Griffith's Valuation as holding land in the county Limerick parishes of Kilteely, barony of Coonagh and Ballyscadden and Knocklong, barony of Coshlea. His widow Alice Ryan of Scarteen owned 50 acres in county Limerick in the 1870s. For many years the Ryan family have been associated with the Scarteen Foxhounds.
Franks (Ballyscadden) The Franks of Meadstown, county Cork and Ballyscadden, county Limerick, share a common ancestry with the Franks of Carrig Park. Matthew Franks of Moorestown, county Limerick, had three sons, Henry of Moorestown, county Limerick and Meadstown, county Cork, Thomas of Ballymagooly, county Cork and Welstead of Kilfinnan, county Limerick. From Thomas of Ballymagooly descend the Franks of Garrettstown and Ballyscaddane. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Henry Franks, grandson of Henry, held land in the parishes of Farahy and Kildorrery, barony of Fermoy. He was also "of Gortnavidera, county Tipperary". Sir John Franks, a distinguished lawyer and Judge of the Supreme Court of Bengal, was a younger son of Thomas Franks of Ballymagooly, county Cork. He married his cousin, Catherine Franks of Carrig, county Cork, and had two sons and three daughters. The Franks family bought the Ryves estate in the early 1850s and Sir John's eldest son is referred to as John Franks of Ballyscaddane in Burke's ''Landed Gentry of Ireland'' (1904). John Franks of Ballyscadane owned over 3,196 acres in county Limerick in the 1870s. The Franks still owned Ballyscaddane at the beginning of the 20th century.