Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Colomb/Columb


Estate(s)

Name Description
Colomb/Columb In 1819 General George Colomb married Mary daughter of Sir Abraham Bradley King baronet. Their fourth son Sir John Charles Ready Colomb was a Member of Parliament for over two decades at the end of the 19th century. In 1866 he married Emily Anna daughter of Robert Samuel Palmer and widow of Charles A. Paget of the Royal Navy. The Colombs came to possess the Palmer estate at Dunkerron through this marriage. In 1906 Sir John C. Columb is recorded as the owner of over 1300 acres in the barony of Dunkerron South, county Kerry, formerly part of the Taylor estate at Dunkerron. An offer was made by the Congested Districts Board on over 2000 acres of the Colomb & Webb estate after 1909.
Palmer (Dunkerron) In 1835 Robert Samuel Palmer of 4 Trafalgar Square, London, married Anna Maria Deane Spread daughter of Charles Spread, agent to Lord Lansdowne and his wife Anne, daughter of Roger Sheehy. The Spreads were also related to the county Limerick families of Deane and Odell. Robert Samuel Palmer was the son of the Reverend John Palmer (born 1752) of Great Torrington, Devonshire and a grandson of the Reverend John Palmer, Chancellor of Ferns and Dean of Cashel and his wife Mary Reynolds, sister of Sir Joshua Reynolds. Mary Palmer eldest daughter of Dean Palmer married Morrough O'Brien Earl of Inchiquin and 1st Marquess of Thomond. In the 1870s Robert S. Palmer, 4 Trafalgar Square, London, owned 2,104 acres in county Kerry, 1,681 acres in county Limerick and 4 acres in county Tipperary. Some of his Irish estate appears to have been acquired from the Taylor family of Dunkerron, county Kerry, post Griffith's Valuation. The Taylor estate was advertised for sale in 1855. Robert Samuel Palmer's daughter was Lady Emily Anna Colomb of Dromquinna, Kenmare, county Kerry. She died in 1907. Her sisters married William Robert Hood Rochfort and Sir Francis Blackwood, who also owned an estate in county Kerry.