Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Moreland (Raheen)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Tandy Mary Tandy is recorded as one of the principal lessors in the parishes of Clonrush and Inishcaltra, barony of Leitrim, county Galway at the time of Griffith's Valuation. She also held three townlands in the parish of Inishcaltra, barony of Tulla Upper, county Clare.The Tandy family, including the United Irish leader, Napper Tandy, were associated with this estate in Mountshannon from the 18th century. In the 1870s Mary Tandy held over 4500 acres in county Galway and 404 acres in county Clare. The property later became associated with the George and Wakely families, family connections of the Tandys. It was sold to the Congested Districts' Board in 1915.
Brady/Brady Browne The Brady family in county Clare were descended from Hugh Brady, post-Reformation bishop of Meath. Luke Brady was resident in the Tomgraney locality of county Clare in the mid 17th century. In 1728 John Brady of Raheen married Mary Stacpoole. In the mid 18th century Henry Brady of Kilcornan, Ennistymon, married Mary Molony of Kiltanon. The Bradys of Williamstadt descend from a younger son of this marriage. In the late 18th century Mary Browne of Newgrove, parish of Tulla, barony of Tulla Upper, county Clare, married Henry Brady of Raheen, near Scarriff. They had four sons and two daughters. Their eldest son John Brady got into debt and in 1852 their second son the Reverend Thomas Brady sold the Raheen estate of 6,995 acres to John W. Harrison Moreland. Their fourth son was Luke Brady of Brookville who married Anne Wyndham McGrath Fitzgerald and they were the parents of Wyndham Brady and Thomas Browne Brady. When Mrs Elizabeth Browne died in 1864 the estate of the Browne family of Newgrove, passed to Wyndham the grandnephew of her husband Thomas Browne. He took the additional surname of Browne. In the 1870s Wyndham Browne of Newgrove owned 5,960 acres in county Clare. He died without heirs and was succeeded by his brother Thomas. Cartron House, parish of Abbey, barony of Burren was the summer residence of the Brady family. It was demolished at the end of the 19th century. Gerard Madden gives an extensive family history of the Brady family in his book on the history of Tuamgraney and Scariff.
Moreland (Raheen) In 1836 Thomas Brown Brady mortgaged Raheen and in 1852 was forced to sell the estate because of his debts. The purchaser was John Harrison Moreland who bought a total acreage of 6,971 for £20,400. He is recorded as the immediate lessor of seven townlands in the parish of Tomgraney, county Clare at the time of Griffith's Valuation and of two townlands in the parish of Rathkeale, barony of Connello Lower, county Limerick. Moreland also purchased other lands in the county. He married Dorcas Westropp of Fort Anne and he was badly injured when somebody tried to shoot him in 1862. In the 1870s William John H. Moreland of Raheen owned 5,118 acres in county Clare and 675 acres in county Limerick. One of his daughters married a Crofton and they inherited Raheen. His other daughter married Thomas Barry George, nephew of Mary Tandy of Mountshannon. The Croftons sold the property to the MacLysaghts. Following the death of William Moreland in 1878 Richard Studdert of Coolreagh was appointed agent to the Raheen estates and his brother Hallim G. Studdert was appointed agent to the Mountshannon estate of Mrs George.
Lysaght/MacLysaght (Hazlewood & Raheen) The MacLysaght or Lysaght family were mainly located in county Clare in the 17th century. In 1749 William Lysaght of Shandangan, county Clare, married Elizabeth Knight of Ballynoe, county Cork, and they had a "pretty little thatched cottage" at Clogheen, parish of Caherduggan, county Cork. Their eldest son, William Lysaght of Fort William, Doneraile, county Cork, married Catherine Royse of Ballinvirig, county Limerick, in 1791. In 1819 William Lysaght, eldest son of William and Catherine, married Frances, daughter of William Atkins of Fountainville and Hazlewood, county Cork. It was by this marriage that the Lysaghts acquired Hazlewood. At the time of Griffith's Valuation William Lysaght held an estate in the parish of Caherduggan, barony of Fermoy. [The representatives of William Lysaght held almost 2,000 acres at Meentinny East and West, parish of Clonfert, barony of Duhallow, at the same time]. His main tenants were James Foote, Tim Hennessy and Reverend Freeman Crofts. In June 1863 the estate of Henry Lysaght at Clogheen and Neewtown, barony of Fermoy, amounting to 568 acres, was advertised for sale and the Croft interest in Clogheen was offered for sale in 1870. In the 1870s William Lysaght of Hazlewood owned 2,252 acres in county Cork. William's second son, Sidney Royse Lysaght, bought Raheen and 600 acres near Scarriff, county Clare in 1908. He built new entrance gates to the house and put on a new roof. S. R. Lysaght was the father of Edward MacLysaght (1887-1986), the well known genealogist and Chief Herald. In June 1876 the estate of James Lysaght [third son of William and Catherine Lysaght], at Cloongown, barony of Duhallow and Lodge, barony of Fermoy, county Cork and at Ballyrobin, barony of Clanwilliam, county Tipperary, was advertised for sale. The Irish Times reported the sale of some lots to James Creed Meredith, Reverend J. Sullivan (Tullyease House, Charleville) and James Delacour. Colonel Grove White's notes contain a large amount of Lysaght family history.