Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Smith (Cahermoyle)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Arthur (Glenomera) A family who moved from county Limerick to Ballyquin, county Clare when they purchased land from the Earl of Thomond at the end of the 17th century. They married into the O'Brien family of Dromoland and the Smith family of Cahirmoyle, county Limerick. Griffith's Valuation shows the main part of the Arthur estate was in the parishes of Killokennedy and O'Briensbridge, barony of Tulla Lower and in the parishes of Ruan and Killinaboy, barony of Inchiquin, but they also held land in other parishes Clondagad, Killone, Killaloe, Kiltenanlea and Feakle. In the 1860s and early 1870s John Brown and his son Robert L. Brown, acted as receivers for the estate of Thomas Arthur, "a lunatic". This estate was in the baronies of Tulla Upper and Lower and included the mansion house and demesne of Glenomera. In the 1870s Colonel Thomas Arthur of Manor House, Desborough, Market Harborough, Leicestershire owned 2,622 acres in county Clare and Francis Arthur of Dublin owned 10,534 acres in the same county. Reverend Lucius Arthur is described as "of Glenomera" in the 1880s.
O'Brien (Cahermoyle) William Smith O'Brien was born at Dromoland, county Clare in 1803. He was the second son of Sir Edward O'Brien 4th baronet and his wife Charlotte Smith. In 1832 he married Lucy Gabbett of High Park, county Limerick. Through his mother he inherited Cahermoyle House and estate, near Newcastle West, county Limerick, previously the home of his maternal grandfather William Smith. In the early 1850s Lady O'Brien's estate was in the parishes of Clonagh, Kilscannell, Nantinan and Rathkeale, barony of Connelloe Lower and Ardagh and Rathronan, barony of Shanid, Ardagh and Killeedy, barony of Glenquin, Cloncagh, barony of Connello Upper, Effin, barony of Coshma. In the 1870s Edward W. O'Brien's estate amounted to 4,990 acres. Members of the O'Brien family still lived at Cahermoyle in the early 20th century.
Smith (Cahermoyle) At the beginning of the 19th century William Smith, an attorney, had an estate in the western part of the county of Limerick, mainly in the baronies of Connello Lower and Shanid. Caleb Powell in his list of Jurors states that the Smiths were descended from Thomas Smyth, consecrated Bishop of Limerick in 1695. In 1774 William Smith purchased the lease of Cahermoyle from Boles Felan who held the property from the Southwell family. He was married to Grace Stevelly and died in 1809 leaving his two daughters as co heiresses. In 1799 Charlotte had married Sir Edward O'Brien baronet of Dromoland and it was their second son William Smith O'Brien, one of the leaders of the Young Ireland movement, who eventually inherited the Smith estate of Cahermoyle through his mother. Charlotte's sister Harriet married Thomas Arthur of Glenomera, county Clare. In 1864 William Smith O'Brien was succeeded by his son William Edward O'Brien who married Mary Spring Rice, sister of the 2nd Baron Monteagle of Brandon. Cahermoyle was sold by their son Dermod O'Brien in 1919.
Southwell The Southwell family were established in county Limerick in the early 17th century. Their estate in the barony of Connello was purchased from William Godolphin and Edward Lloyd in April 1674 and amounted to over 4,800 acres. The 3rd Baron, Thomas George Southwell, was created a Viscount in 1776. The Southwell estate was mainly in the parishes of Nantinan, Rathkeale, Tomdeely and Kilscannell, barony of Connello Lower, Rathronan, barony of Shanid and Abbeyfeale, barony of Glenquin. The 400 acre fee farm estate of George and George Joseph Crowe in the parish of Nantinan, part of the Southwell estate, was advertised for sale in November 1852. Lord Southwell, of Victoria Castle, Kingstown and Castle Matrix, county Limerick, is recorded as the owner of 4,032 acres in county Limerick, 2,252 acres in county Cork, 329 acres in county Kerry, 1,147 acres in county Donegal and 4,017 acres in county Leitrim in the 1870s. In 1840, the Ordnance Survey Field Name Books indicated that the Southwell estate was the proprietor of townlands in the parish of Duagh, barony of Iraghticonnor, county Kerry. The agent for this property was Capt. Brown, county Limerick.