Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Woulfe (Teermaclane)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Flanagan/Woulfe Flanagan At the time of Griffith's Valuation the Flanagan family held lands in the parish of Killaraght, barony of Boyle, leased from the King estate and in the parishes of Kilglass, barony of Ballintober North and Kilcooley, barony of Roscommon. Earlier, in 1802, McParlan described "Mr. O'Flannikin's estate at Killarrat" as being of prime quality. Rentals of some of these lands were offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court in 1851. In the 1870s the Woulfe Flanagan estate in county Roscommon was over 1550 acres as well as over 2000 acres in county Sligo and 800 acres in county Clare. In 1906 Stephen W. Flanagan was the owner of 33 acres of untenanted land and buildings valued at £10 at Lecarrow, barony of Tirerrill. The family later had an address in London.
Woulfe (Teermaclane) Teermaclane, parish of Killone, barony of Islands, county Clare, was acquired by Nicholas Woulfe from Henry 7th Earl of Thomond in the 1680s. The 1761 rental of the Clive estate in county Clare records Stephen Wolfe holding three townlands including Tirevicklane or Teermaclane. In 1841 Peter Wolfe held the same three townlands. Griffith's Valuation records his estate in the parishes of Clareabbey and Killone, barony of Islands. It was held by the Court of Chancery at this time. Peter's younger brother Stephen Woulfe became Lord Chief Baron of the Exchequer of Ireland in 1838. The Baron's son Stephen Roland Woulfe succeeded his uncle Peter in 1865 and owned 1,019 acres in county Clare in the 1870s. In 1813 the Baron's sister Joanna married Terence Flanagan of county Roscommon and their family adopted the surname Woulfe Flanagan. Teermaclane House was in ruins by 1840 and the family resided in London or at Strangford in county Down. At the end of the 19th century there was a house at Teermaclane known as Rose Cottage which was used by the family.