Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Lloyd (Beechmount)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Lloyd (Beechmount) In 1805 Colonel Thomas Lloyd purchased Beechmount in the parish of Rathkeale, barony of Connello Lower. He was the son of the Reverend Thomas Lloyd and his second wife, Frances, daughter of John Bateman of Altavilla, county Limerick. In 1797, their son Thomas married Catherine Evans of Miltown Castle. Thomas and Catherine were the parents of Thomas of Beechmount and Eyre of Prospect, county Limerick. Colonel Thomas F. Lloyd owned 209 acres in county Limerick in the 1870s while his brother Arthur Lloyd also with an address at Beechmount owned 304 acres. Their half sister married John Maunsell of the Ballywilliam family and the Maunsell entry in ''Burke's Irish Family Records'' suggests she succeeded to much of her father's estate. Cloonkerry House appears to have been a Lloyd residence in the mid 19th century. Elizabeth Lloyd who lived there at the time of Griffith’s Valuation was a Barclay. She was married to Reverend John Lloyd, fourth son of Col Thomas Lloyd of Beechmount. Her grandson Thomas Lloyd later lived at Thornberry. Part (420 acres) of the Jacob estate at Johnstown, county Tipperary, sold to Elizabeth Lloyd, widow, in 1853, was offered for sale again in November 1875 and June 1876. Some lots were purchased in trust by John Mockler and Michael Dalton.
Lloyd (Prospect) At the time of Griffith’s Valuation Eyre Lloyd held an estate in the parishes of Cappagh and Clonshire, barony of Connello Lower, and Kilmeedy, barony of Connello Upper, county Limerick. Eyre Lloyd is recorded as a middleman on lands belonging to Dean Preston of Limerick and to the Bishop of Limerick at the time of the first Ordnance Survey. He was the second son of Thomas Lloyd of Beechmount. In November 1859 1,689 acres the estate of Eyre Lloyd in the baronies of Coonagh, Connello Upper and Lower, Coshlea and Kilmallock was advertised for sale. In the 1870s his estate amounted to 1,912 acres in the county. Robert L. Brown was agent to Eyre Lloyd.
Maunsell (Ballywilliam) Richard Maunsell (1721-1790), second son of Richard Maunsell, Member of Parliament for Limerick city 1740-1761, settled at Ballywilliam, parish of Rathkeale, county Limerick. He married Helena Toler and was succeeded by his eldest son, George, who married Sarah Meares in 1779. They had eleven sons. In the mid 19th century the Ballywilliam estate was in the parishes of Kilscannell and Rathkeale, barony of Connello Lower, Crecora, barony of Pubblebrien and Killeedy, barony of Glenquin. The lands of Annaghrosty, barony of Pubblebrien were advertised for sale in June 1851.The estate was comprised of 4,231 acres in the 1870s. Two of the eleven sons of George and Sarah Maunsell married members of the Lloyd family of Beechmount, county Limerick and in 1851 one of their grandsons, John Maunsell of Edenmore, Raheny, county Dublin, married his cousin, Catherine Lloyd, described in ''Burke's Irish Family Records'' as the only surviving daughter and "heiress" of Thomas Lloyd of Beechmount [she was the only surviving child of Thomas Lloyd's first marriage]. In the 1870s John Maunsell of Edenmore owned over 5,000 acres in county Limerick. George Maunsell of Milford was a younger brother of Daniel Maunsell of Ballywilliam. The fee simple estate of Frances Maunsell, [widow of George] in the lands of Sreelane, barony of Clanwilliam, which included the mills of Messrs John Norris Russell and Sons and the "newly built" Plassy House plus the "splendid residence" of the Dowager Lady Massy called Milford House was advertised for sale in July 1868.