Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Hickman (Kilmore)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Keane (Beech Park) The Keanes were established in county Clare from at least the mid 17th century and were residing at Beech Park in the parish of Drumcliff, barony of Islands by the beginning of the 19th century. In 1799 Robert Keane (1774-1839) married Jane Delahunty, whose mother Susan was the only daughter and heiress of James Colpoys of Crusheen, and they had a family of eight sons and five daughters. Robert Keane built Beech Park circa 1800 and established a land agency. The Keanes of Hermitage, near Ennis, descend from his second son Francis. His sixth son Marcus of Beech Park married Louisa daughter of Nicholas Westby of Kilballyowen and took over his father’s land agency. His main clients were the Westby, Conyngham and Henn estates. On these estates he carried out many evictions and so became very unpopular. His younger brother Henry Keane and Basil Lukey Davoren were two of his underagents. In the early 1850s he bought 1,000 acres at Enogh, barony of Moyarta, from the sale of the Hickman of Kilmore estate. In the mid 19th century Marcus Keane held land in the parishes of Kilmaley and Drumcliff, barony of Islands, Inchicronan, barony of Bunratty Upper, Kilchreest, barony of Clonderalaw. Some of his brothers also held land in the parish of Kilmaley and in the parish of Kilballyowen, barony of Moyarta where the Keanes had a summer residence at Doondahlin, Kilbaha. By the 1870s Marcus Keane’s estate had grown to 4,784 acres in county Clare. 168 acres was vested in the Congested Districts' Board in November 1915.
Gore (Clonroad & Tyredagh Castle) In 1712 Henry 8th Earl of Thomond leased Clonroad, parish of Drumcliff, barony of Islands, county Clare, to Francis Gore in perpetuity at an annual rent of £60, as well as Lifford and the Abbey lands of Ennis and Drumbiggle. Weir writes that the Gore family lived in the 17th century house of Clonroad until the 1840s when it was rebuilt and extended. Mrs Mary Gore sold the property in 1852. In the latter half of the 18th century the Gores appear to have lived at Derrymore, parish of Kilnoe, barony of Tulla Upper. In 1797 Francis Gore of Derrymore married Christianna daughter of Sir Joseph Peacocke of Barntick. Their eldest son Francis married Mary daughter and co heir of Edmond Browne of Newgrove and of his wife Anne Hickman of Kilmore. By the mid 19th century the Gores were leasing Tyredagh Castle from the Brownes. In the mid 19th century Francis Gore’s estate was in the parish of Drumcliffe, barony of Islands. Over 1,000 acres in the vicinity of Ennis was advertised for sale in November 1852 and Lifford and other property north of the town in 1868. In the 1870s his son Francis William Gore of Kilmore, owned over 3,000 acres in county Clare. Francis William Gore of Tyredagh assumed the surname of Hickman in 1878. In the mid 20th century the head of the Gore Hickman family was living in Canada. In the 1850s Captain Charles William Gore, fourth son of Francis and Christianna Gore of Derrymore lived at Larch Hill, (Reaskaun), parish of Templemaley, barony of Bunratty Upper and held land in the parishes of Kilfinaghta and St Patricks, barony of Bunratty Lower. In the 1870s he owned 399 acres in county Clare.
Hickman (Kilmore) By his second marriage Gregory Hickman, merchant of Hamburgh, had three sons. The eldest, Walter, founded the Kilmore branch of the family. Walter Hickman of Kilmore, parish of Killimer, barony of Clonderalaw, county Clare, had a son Henry who married Margaret, daughter of Sir William Poole of Poole Hall, Devon. Henry and Margaret had three sons, Poole, Henry and William. Margaret Hickman died in 1707. A descendant of one of these sons, Poole Hickman of Kilmore, married Letitia Browne of New Grove. He was High Sheriff of county Clare in 1782. They had a son Poole (1783-1842) and three daughters Letitia, Anne (Browne) and Mary (O’Dwyer). Anne Hickman married her first cousin, Edmond Browne of New Grove, in 1798. In 1824, Mary Browne, daughter of Edmond and Anne Browne, married Francis Gore and their descendants eventually inherited the Hickman estate by the will of Anne’s brother, Poole Hickman, who died in 1842. He was succeeded by his sister, Letitia Hickman, who held an estate comprised of at least nine townlands in the parishes of Killimer and Kilmurry at the time of Griffith’s Valuation. The sale rental of the Kilmore estate dated January 1852 shows that the estate had been much larger, consisting of over 18 townlands and amounting to about 4,800 Irish acres. Marcus Keane bought about 1,000 acres of this estate at Enogh, barony of Moyarta. The Freeman's Journal provides details of the purchasers of other lots though the sale of some was adjourned due to insufficient bidding. Letitia Hickman died in 1861. The following website gives a history of the Hickman family and Kilmore House: http://www.markhams-of-derryguiha.com/id24.html.