Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Mahony/Gun-Mahony


Estate(s)

Name Description
Mahony/Gun-Mahony In the 1870s the estate of George Gun Mahony, of Kilmorna, Listowel, amounted to over 5000 acres in county Kerry. The estate of Pierce Mahony was one of the principal lessors in the parishes of Galey and Knockanure, barony of Iraghiconnor, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. George Gun is recorded as holding townlands in the parish of Kilconly and Lisselton at the same time. Pierce Mahony also held about 500 acres of land at Roxborough, parish of Caheravally in the barony of Clanwilliam, and land in the parish of Monagay, barony of Glenquin, county Limerick. Richard Kane was agent for his county Limerick estate. David Mahony of Grange Con, county Wicklow, owned 1,155 acres in county Cork, 1,370 acres in county Kerry, 1,467 acres in county Limerick and 1,769 acres in county Wicklow in the 1870s. His county Cork estate was in the parish of Rathcormack, barony of Barrymore, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. He was a younger brother of Pierce K. Mahony of Kilmorna and Gunsborough.
Kane (Limerick) The Kane family held land in the parishes of Cahervally, barony of Clanwilliam and Abington, barony of Owneybeg, county Limerick in the first half of the 19th century. Captain Richard Kane of Whitehall married Elizabeth Hayes Barry and they had a son Thomas and a daughter who married Martin Honan. Thomas Kane became a doctor of renown in the Limerick area and was Mayor of the city in 1852 and 1857. Thomas Kane, medical doctor of George's Street, Limerick, owned 82 acres in county Clare in the 1870s. see http://www.askaboutireland.ie/asset?id=5510 for more information about the doctor