Leonard (County Cork)
In the 1870s, Rev. Samuel Leonard, of Banteer, county Cork, was the owner of over 1200 acres in county Kerry as well as 116 acres in county Tipperary (Bellgrove). Over 800 acres of these lands, situated at Drinagh, Ballyheige, county Kerry and in the barony of Upper Ormond, county Tipperary, had been offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates court in 1852, being then the property of Denis Leonard, an insolvent. The Freeman's Journal indicates that the freehold of the Drinagh property was purchased by Reverend Chute. He also purchased some of the Tipperary property while the remainder was bought in trust by Mr. Eyre. by Griffith's Valuation records Denis Leonard holding two townlands in the parish of Finnoe, barony of Lower Ormond. Bellgrove appears to have been bought by Hyacinth Richard Daly from county Galway. In the 1830s, the Ordnance Survey Name Books had recorded the letting of this townland by Major Crosbie to Godfrey Leonard, for whom Denis Leonard acted as agent. An offer was made by the Congested Districts Board on over 850 acres of the Leonard & Swanzy estate in 1912. An offer was made by the Congested Districts Board on 47 acres of Maurice Leonard's estate after 1909.