Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Wandesforde


Estate(s)

Name Description
Prior The Reverend John Prior and Thomas Young Prior were sons of the Reverend Thomas Prior, Senior Fellow and Vice Provost of Trinity College, Dublin. From the mid 18th century the Priors held a small estate at Crossoge and Lisnasella, parish of Ballycahill, near Thurles, county Tipperary from the Armstrongs of Farney Castle. In 1836 the Reverend John Prior of Mount Dillon, county Dublin, rector of Kirklington, Yorkshire, married Sarah Wandesforde who in 1881 succeeded to the Castlecomer and Kirklington estates of the Wandesforde family and the family became known as Prior Wandesforde. In Griffith's Valuation the Reverend John Prior is recorded as the immediate lessor of two townlands in the parish of Ballycahill. His eldest son Charles Butler Prior lived at Crossogue House, county Tipperary and married in 1866 Dora Phillips of Gaile, county Tipperary. The representatives of Charles B. Prior of Crossoge held 92 acres in the 1870s. Thomas Young Prior, barrister at law, was the youngest son of the Reverend Thomas Prior and in 1843 married at Leamington, Warwickshire, Jane Matilda, daughter of the Reverend Robert Russell of Ashbrook, county Fermanagh (see ''The Illustrated London News'', 30 June 1843). In the second half of the 19th century Thomas Young Prior leased an estate of about 1,000 acres from Robert Graham in the parish of Ballynakill, barony of Ballynahinch, county Galway. His headquarters was at Ross where the Coastguard had previously built a small house and 3 large barns. In the 1870s Thomas Y. Prior owned 1,084 acres in county Galway. Robinson writes that the estate was bought by William Armstrong Lushington Tulloch in 1894. It was later sold by the Tullochs to the Land Commission.
Wandesforde The main Irish estate of the Wandesforde family, later Prior-Wandesforde, was in the Castlecomer area of county Kilkenny. They also had estates in England. The Wandesforde family acquired land in counties Limerick and Clare following the marriage in 1750 of Agnes Elizabeth, daughter of John Southwell of Enniscouch, county Limerick, and John Wandesford 5th Viscount Castlecomer and 1st Earl Wandesforde. This estate was previously Southwell property and was in the barony of Lower Connello, county Limerick and Clonderalaw, county Clare. In 1769 Frances, the only child of the 1st Earl Wandesforde, married John Butler, 7th Earl of Ormonde and their fourth son succeeded to the Wandesforde estates. The Prior Wandesforde Estate Papers in the National Library of Ireland show that the county Clare estates were mainly in the Kilrush and Killadysert localities and included Ballyartney. At the time of Griffith's Valuation the county Clare estate of the Wandesfordes was in the parishes of Kilmurry and Kilmilhil and their county Limerick estate was in the parishes of Nantinan and Rathkeale, barony of Connello Lower, (H. Wandesforde) Cloncagh, barony of Connello Lower and Darragh, barony of Coshlea (C.C.B. Wandesforde). In the 1870s the Honourable C.B. Wandesforde of Mount Juliet, county Kilkenny, owned 6,737 acres in county Clare and Henry T.B. Wandesforde of Palmerstown, county Dublin, owned 4,137 acres in county Limerick.
Studdert (Clonderalaw) Five generations of Studderts lived at Clonderalaw, parish of Kilmurry, barony of Clonderalaw, county Clare, between the mid 18th century and the mid 20th century. Richard Studdert, third son of the Reverend George Studdert (1699-1778) of Ardlaman, county Limerick, was the founder of this branch of the Studdert family. The family intermarried with the Studderts of Bunratty and members of the Lloyd family. At the time of Griffith's Valuation George Studdert held land in the parishes of Kilmurry (Clonderalaw) and Clonlea (Tulla Lower). His son Captain George Lloyd Studdert owned 643 acres in county Clare in the 1870s. The male heirs died out in 1902 and the estate passed to Francis Louisa who married Poole Hickman Gore of Tyredagh. They had no children. She died in 1951 and the estate was sold. William Studdert of Thornberry House, parish of Kilmurry, barony of Clonderalaw, county Clare, was the fifth son of George Studdert of Clonderalaw and Elizabeth Studdert. He held 4 townlands in the parish of Kilmurry at the time of Griffith's Valuation. He married a Miss White and had one son William who succeeded him in 1867. The Studderts of Cragmoher were another branch of this family. Major Charles Studdert of Cragmoher owned 885 acres in county Clare in the 1870s and in October 1912 about 700 acres belonging to C.W. Studdert was vested in the Congested Districts' Board.
Rose (Ahabeg) The Rose family, originally from Devonshire, settled at Morgans and Mount Prospect, county Limerick in the late 17th century. Thomas Rose of Morgans, parish of Rathkeale, county Limerick and of Aghabeg and Ballyclough in the Limerick Liberties was Mayor of Limerick city in 1695. His eldest son, Henry Rose, was Member of Parliament for Ardfert and became a Lord Chief Justice. Lord Chief Justice Henry Rose of Mount Pleasant married Anne Crosbie and had a son and a daughter. The son left an only child, Elizabeth, who married William Talbot of Mount Talbot, county Roscommon while the daughter married John Southwell of Enniscouch, county Limerick and had an only daughter, Agnes, who married John Wandesford, Earl Wandesford. The Roses of county Limerick are descended from George Rose, a younger brother of Chief Justice Henry Rose. This George Rose married twice. Alexander O’Grady Rose, who owned land in the parishes of Kilkeedy and Mungret, barony of Pubblebrien at the time of Griffith’s Valuation, was descended from George Rose's first marriage to Jane Hickman of Barntick, county Clare. In June 1850 and at future dates the estate of Alexander O'Grady Rose in the baronies of Pubblebrien and Kenry, county Limerick and in the parish of Kinarath, barony of Owney and Arra, county Tipperary, were advertised for sale. W. A. Rose, Alexander O'Grady Rose and Simon Rose all held land in the parish of Kilvellane, barony of Owney and Arra at the time of Griffith's Valuation. Richard Rose was the son of George Rose's second marriage to Susanna Stephens of Newcastle, county Limerick. Richard Rose married Mary, daughter of John Anderson of Foxhall, county Tipperary, and from them descend the Roses of Ahabeg and Foxhall. Their eldest grandson was Richard Anderson Rose. He had two sons, Richard Anderson Rose, who held an estate in the parish of Carrigparson, barony of Clanwilliam, at the time of Griffith's Valuation, and Wellington Anderson Rose, who held land in the parish of Abington, barony of Owneybeg. In 1826 their uncle, Simon Rose, had married Maria, daughter of Arthur Ormsby of Ballygrenan and Ballyculleen, county Limerick and their son, Henry Ormsby Rose, succeeded to the Ormsby estates of his uncle, Henry Ormsby. Another uncle, Henry Rose, lived at Ballyclogh, parish of Kilmurry and owned land in county Galway. In the 1870s Robert de Ros Rose of Ahabeg owned 2,747 acres in county Limerick. Thomas Rose of Court Cottage, parish of Kildimo, barony of Kenry is recorded in Lewis and he still occupied the house valued at £7 at the time of Griffith's Valuation. The estate of Francis Rose, 55 acres in the barony of Coshlea, was advertised for sale in January 1866. Francis Rose of America owned 57 acres in the 1870s.
Butler The 1st Duke of Ormonde was one of the largest estate owners in Ireland at the beginning of the 18th century. Some of the Ormonde estate in county Tipperary was sold in the early years of the 18th century to pay off debts. In the mid 19th century the Marquess of Ormonde's county Tipperary estate was in mainly in the baronies of Iffa and Offa East and Lower Ormond but also in the baronies of Slievardagh, Clanwilliam, Eliogarty and Upper Ormond. In 1769 John, 17th Earl of Ormonde, married Lady Frances Wandesforde, daughter and sole heir of John, Earl of Wandesforde, and his wife, Agnes Elizabeth, daugher of John Southwell of Enniscouch, county Limerick. The 17th Earl died in 1795 and his wife in 1830. The Countess of Ormonde held land in county Limerick at the beginning of the 19th century. A map of her estate at "Gurtnacrehy", [Gortnacreha, parish of Cloncagh?], parish of "Kilneedy" [Kilmeedy], barony of Connello Upper is held in the Limerick City Museum. Another document in this repository refers to her tenants at Ballinlina [Ballinlyny?, parish of Kilscannell, barony of Connello Lower] and Ardbohill [parish of Rathkeale, barony of Connello Lower]. At the time of Griffith's Valuation "Lady Ormond" is recorded as holding land in the townland of Ballinlongig, parish of Dromcolliher, barony of Connello Upper. The Countess estates passed to her fourth son, Charles and his descendants who took the name of Wandesforde. In the 1870s the Marquess of Ormonde of Kilkenny Castle owned 15,765 acres in county Tipperary and over 12,000 acres in county Kilkenny.