Landed Estates
NUI Galway

O'Connell (Barryscourt)


Estate(s)

Name Description
O'Connell The O’Connells are an ancient Gaelic family, whom Burke claims had their origins in county Clare, before moving to West Kerry. The most famous member of the family is Daniel O’Connell, MP and Barrister-at-Law, who was a major political figure in pre-Famine Ireland. At the time of Griffith’s Valuation, Maurice O’Connell was one of the principal lessors in the parishes of Kilcrohane and Templenoe, barony of Dunkerron South and Nohaval, barony of Trughanacmy, while Elizabeth O’Connell was one of the principal lessors in the parish of Aglish, barony of Magunihy. Charles O'Connell was the lessor of several townlands in the parish of Dromod, barony of Waterville at the same time. Large portions of another O'Connell estate, that of the O'Connells of Grena, in the baronies of Magunihy and Trughanacmy were offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates court in 1850 and 1852. Over 1000 acres of the estate of Rickard O'Connell, including the lands at Carhen, were offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court in 1854. Lands at Upper Carhen, barony of Iveragh, in the possession of John Primrose, were offered for sale at the same time. In 1859, over 500 acres of land held on lease by Primrose from the O'Connell estate was offered for sale in the Landed Estates Court. Primrose was an agent for the O'Connell estate. Over 2000 acres of Maurice O'Connell's estate was offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court in November 1855. Lands at Carhen, on lease to the Barry and Trant families since the 1770s, were offered for sale in November 1857. Premises in Tralee, the property of Maurice Charles O'Connell, were offered for sale in the Landed Estates Court in June 1866. In the 1870s the O’Connell estate at Derrynane amounted to over 17,000 acres. Another member of the family, James, established himself at Killarney in the early nineteenth century, leasing lands from the Herberts. This estate amounted to over 18,000 acres in the 1870s and included lands in the parish of Ratass, barony of Trughanacmy. An offer was made by the Congested Districts Board on over 2000 acres of Sir Maurice O'Connell estate in 1913 while over 8600 acres of the estate of Daniel C. O'Connell was vested in the estate in 1914. Over 2000 acres of Daniel O'Connell's estate was vested in the Board in 1914.
Coppinger (Barryscourt) At the time of Griffith's Valuation members of this county Cork family held land, particularly in the barony of Barrymore. The Coppingers were descended from Stephen Coppinger, Mayor of Cork, who died in 1600. In 1777 William Coppinger of Ballyvolan and Barryscourt, county Cork married his cousin Jane, sister and heiress of Donat McMahon of Clenagh, parish of Kilmaleery, barony of Bunratty Lower, county Clare and had two sons and two daughters. Thomas Henry Coppinger was also a member of this family. In the 1850s their eldest son, William Coppinger of Barryscourt, county Cork and Ballylean, county Clare, held six townlands in the parish of Killadysert, one townland in the parish of Kilfiddane, barony of Clonderalaw, county Clare and four townlands in the parish of Carrigtohill and a townland in the parishes of Caherlag, barony of Barrymore and St Annes Shandon, barony of Cork, county Cork. Over 6,800 acres in the baronies of Clonderalaw and Islands, county Clare, were advertised for sale in April 1853. The Coppingers also held some property in the Cashel locality, county Tipperary. William Coppinger died unmarried in 1862 and all his estates passed to his nephew, Morgan John O’Connell, son of Elizabeth Coppinger and John O’Connell of Grenagh, county Kerry, a brother of Daniel O’Connell of Derrynane. The Coppingers of Rossmore were a junior branch of the Barryscourt family.
O'Connell (Barryscourt) Morgan John O’Connell was a son of John O’Connell of Grenagh, county Kerry, and his wife Elizabeth Coppinger and a nephew of Daniel O’Connell of Derrynane Abbey. He inherited the Coppinger estates of his grandfather in counties Cork and Clare following the death of his uncle William Coppinger in 1862. He married Mary Anne a daughter of Charles Bianconi and died in 1875. His representatives owned 1,102 acres in county Cork in the 1870s. His county Clare estate was in the parishes of Killadysert and Kilfiddane, barony of Clonderalaw. In the 1870s his son John Charles William Coppinger O’Connell owned 4,740 acres in county Clare. J.C.W.C. O’Connell assumed the additional surname of Bianconi following the death of his mother in 1908.
O'Connell (Grena) A branch of the O'Connell family of Derrynane, the O'Connells owned an estate at Grenagh, near Killarney, until the 1850s, when it had to be sold. The Ordnance Survey Name Books mention that John O'Connell was leasing this property from the Herbert estate in the late 1830s. The estate also held over 1200 acres in county Cork. John O'Connell was one of the principal lessors in the parishes of Dromdaleague and Kilcrohane, West Carbery and Kilmocomoge, barony of Bantry, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. In the 1870s Daniel James O'Connell of Grenagh owned 1,898 acres in county Cork and 603 acres in county Kerry.
Bianconi Charles Bianconi, an Italian, arrived in Ireland in the early 19th century and worked as a travelling salesman in the Tipperary/ Waterford region. By the 1820s he had begun to establish a car transport business for the conveyance of passengers between the main towns. By the mid 19th century Bianconi had become a very wealthy man and held an estate in the parish of Ardmayle, barony of Middlethird, county Tipperary. In the 1870s Charles Bianconi of Longfield, Cashel, owned 2,215 acres in county Tipperary. Bianconi died in 1875.