Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Coppinger (Barryscourt)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Coppinger (Barryscourt) At the time of Griffith's Valuation members of this county Cork family held land, particularly in the barony of Barrymore. The Coppingers were descended from Stephen Coppinger, Mayor of Cork, who died in 1600. In 1777 William Coppinger of Ballyvolan and Barryscourt, county Cork married his cousin Jane, sister and heiress of Donat McMahon of Clenagh, parish of Kilmaleery, barony of Bunratty Lower, county Clare and had two sons and two daughters. Thomas Henry Coppinger was also a member of this family. In the 1850s their eldest son, William Coppinger of Barryscourt, county Cork and Ballylean, county Clare, held six townlands in the parish of Killadysert, one townland in the parish of Kilfiddane, barony of Clonderalaw, county Clare and four townlands in the parish of Carrigtohill and a townland in the parishes of Caherlag, barony of Barrymore and St Annes Shandon, barony of Cork, county Cork. Over 6,800 acres in the baronies of Clonderalaw and Islands, county Clare, were advertised for sale in April 1853. The Coppingers also held some property in the Cashel locality, county Tipperary. William Coppinger died unmarried in 1862 and all his estates passed to his nephew, Morgan John O’Connell, son of Elizabeth Coppinger and John O’Connell of Grenagh, county Kerry, a brother of Daniel O’Connell of Derrynane. The Coppingers of Rossmore were a junior branch of the Barryscourt family.
McMahon (Clenagh) In the mid 18th century Stanilaus McMahon of Clenagh, county Clare held an estate of over 10,000 acres in the baronies of Bunratty Lower and Clonderalaw, county Clare. He married Lucinda, daughter of Sir Walter Esmonde, baronet. They had two children, Donat who became an abbé in Paris and Jane, who, in 1777, married William Coppinger of Barryscourt, county Cork. The McMahon estate was heavily encumbered and by the marriage settlement of 1777 the Abbé Donat McMahon handed his estate over to the management of his brother-in-law. At the time of Griffith's Valuation William Coppinger, son of William and Jane, held land in the parishes of Killadysert and Kilfiddane, barony of Clonderalaw. See http://www.copinger.org.uk/2William14.html
O'Connell (Barryscourt) Morgan John O’Connell was a son of John O’Connell of Grenagh, county Kerry, and his wife Elizabeth Coppinger and a nephew of Daniel O’Connell of Derrynane Abbey. He inherited the Coppinger estates of his grandfather in counties Cork and Clare following the death of his uncle William Coppinger in 1862. He married Mary Anne a daughter of Charles Bianconi and died in 1875. His representatives owned 1,102 acres in county Cork in the 1870s. His county Clare estate was in the parishes of Killadysert and Kilfiddane, barony of Clonderalaw. In the 1870s his son John Charles William Coppinger O’Connell owned 4,740 acres in county Clare. J.C.W.C. O’Connell assumed the additional surname of Bianconi following the death of his mother in 1908.
Coppinger (Middleton) This branch of the Coppinger family are descended from the third son of Thomas Coppinger of Ballyvolane. William Coppinger of 'Granacloyne' married Mary Gould of Cork in 1755. Their son, Stephen William Coppinger of Middleton, married his cousin, Johanna Coppinger of the Rossmore family. In the 1870s their grandson Thomas S. Coppinger of Midleton owned 507 acres in county Cork while [his uncle] William Coppinger of Midleton owned 420 acres. Premises in Cork city the estate of Mary Anne Coppinger deceased were advertised for sale in February 1861. The original leases were to Stephen Coppinger of Cork city. Thomas Power Coppinger offered lands in the barony of Decies-without-Drum, county Waterford for sale in November 1872. These were held on fee-farm grant since 1851.