Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Gore (Clonroad & Tyredagh)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Gore (Clonroad & Tyredagh Castle) In 1712 Henry 8th Earl of Thomond leased Clonroad, parish of Drumcliff, barony of Islands, county Clare, to Francis Gore in perpetuity at an annual rent of £60, as well as Lifford and the Abbey lands of Ennis and Drumbiggle. Weir writes that the Gore family lived in the 17th century house of Clonroad until the 1840s when it was rebuilt and extended. Mrs Mary Gore sold the property in 1852. In the latter half of the 18th century the Gores appear to have lived at Derrymore, parish of Kilnoe, barony of Tulla Upper. In 1797 Francis Gore of Derrymore married Christianna daughter of Sir Joseph Peacocke of Barntick. Their eldest son Francis married Mary daughter and co heir of Edmond Browne of Newgrove and of his wife Anne Hickman of Kilmore. By the mid 19th century the Gores were leasing Tyredagh Castle from the Brownes. In the mid 19th century Francis Gore’s estate was in the parish of Drumcliffe, barony of Islands. Over 1,000 acres in the vicinity of Ennis was advertised for sale in November 1852 and Lifford and other property north of the town in 1868. In the 1870s his son Francis William Gore of Kilmore, owned over 3,000 acres in county Clare. Francis William Gore of Tyredagh assumed the surname of Hickman in 1878. In the mid 20th century the head of the Gore Hickman family was living in Canada. In the 1850s Captain Charles William Gore, fourth son of Francis and Christianna Gore of Derrymore lived at Larch Hill, (Reaskaun), parish of Templemaley, barony of Bunratty Upper and held land in the parishes of Kilfinaghta and St Patricks, barony of Bunratty Lower. In the 1870s he owned 399 acres in county Clare.
Browne (Newgrove) The Brownes were Elizabethan settlers. In 1765 Thomas Browne of Newgrove married Mary Wesby and had three sons, Edmund, William and Thomas. Edmund married Anne Hickman of Kilmore in 1798 and had a son and two daughters, one of whom, Mary, married Francis Gore. Their son died young and was succeeded by his uncle Thomas in 1813. The following year Thomas Browne married Elizabeth Comyn. They had no children and when Elizabeth died in 1864 the estate was inherited by Wyndham Brady, a grandson of Thomas's sister Mary who had married Henry Brady of Raheens. At the time of Griffith's Valuation the Browne estate was centred on the parishes of Feakle and Tulla, barony of Tulla Upper, but the Brownes also had land in the parishes of Clooney, Inchicronan, Quin, in the barony of Bunratty Upper and in the parishes of Abbey and Oughtmama in the barony of Burren.
Studdert (Clonderalaw) Five generations of Studderts lived at Clonderalaw, parish of Kilmurry, barony of Clonderalaw, county Clare, between the mid 18th century and the mid 20th century. Richard Studdert, third son of the Reverend George Studdert (1699-1778) of Ardlaman, county Limerick, was the founder of this branch of the Studdert family. The family intermarried with the Studderts of Bunratty and members of the Lloyd family. At the time of Griffith's Valuation George Studdert held land in the parishes of Kilmurry (Clonderalaw) and Clonlea (Tulla Lower). His son Captain George Lloyd Studdert owned 643 acres in county Clare in the 1870s. The male heirs died out in 1902 and the estate passed to Francis Louisa who married Poole Hickman Gore of Tyredagh. They had no children. She died in 1951 and the estate was sold. William Studdert of Thornberry House, parish of Kilmurry, barony of Clonderalaw, county Clare, was the fifth son of George Studdert of Clonderalaw and Elizabeth Studdert. He held 4 townlands in the parish of Kilmurry at the time of Griffith's Valuation. He married a Miss White and had one son William who succeeded him in 1867. The Studderts of Cragmoher were another branch of this family. Major Charles Studdert of Cragmoher owned 885 acres in county Clare in the 1870s and in October 1912 about 700 acres belonging to C.W. Studdert was vested in the Congested Districts' Board.
Hickman (Kilmore) By his second marriage Gregory Hickman, merchant of Hamburgh, had three sons. The eldest, Walter, founded the Kilmore branch of the family. Walter Hickman of Kilmore, parish of Killimer, barony of Clonderalaw, county Clare, had a son Henry who married Margaret, daughter of Sir William Poole of Poole Hall, Devon. Henry and Margaret had three sons, Poole, Henry and William. Margaret Hickman died in 1707. A descendant of one of these sons, Poole Hickman of Kilmore, married Letitia Browne of New Grove. He was High Sheriff of county Clare in 1782. They had a son Poole (1783-1842) and three daughters Letitia, Anne (Browne) and Mary (O’Dwyer). Anne Hickman married her first cousin, Edmond Browne of New Grove, in 1798. In 1824, Mary Browne, daughter of Edmond and Anne Browne, married Francis Gore and their descendants eventually inherited the Hickman estate by the will of Anne’s brother, Poole Hickman, who died in 1842. He was succeeded by his sister, Letitia Hickman, who held an estate comprised of at least nine townlands in the parishes of Killimer and Kilmurry at the time of Griffith’s Valuation. The sale rental of the Kilmore estate dated January 1852 shows that the estate had been much larger, consisting of over 18 townlands and amounting to about 4,800 Irish acres. Marcus Keane bought about 1,000 acres of this estate at Enogh, barony of Moyarta. The Freeman's Journal provides details of the purchasers of other lots though the sale of some was adjourned due to insufficient bidding. Letitia Hickman died in 1861. The following website gives a history of the Hickman family and Kilmore House: http://www.markhams-of-derryguiha.com/id24.html.
Gore (Derryluskan) The Gores of Derryluskan, county Tipperary, were a junior branch of the Gore family of Tyredagh Castle and Derrymore, county Clare. The Reverend Francis Gore married as his third wife Ellinor daughter of Colonel Kingsmill Pennefather of New Park, county Tipperary. Their son George married in 1774 Catherine daughter and co heiress of Lawrence Clutterbuck of Derryluskan. The Gores held an estate in the parish of Rathcool, barony of Middlethird, county Tipperary at the time of Griffith's Valuation. All the children of George and Catherine died without heirs. Their youngest daughter Miss Catherine Gore of London is recorded in the 1870s as owning 918 acres in county Tipperary. Following Catherine death in 1875 (aged 100) the estate was inherited by a cousin Georgina Katherine, daughter of Nathaniel Evans of Oldtown, county Cork. In 1828 Georgina married Charles Vernon and in 1876 assumed the additional name and arms of Gore.