Landed Estates
NUI Galway

O'Callaghan/O'Callaghan Westropp (Kilgory & Maryfort)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Westropp (Fort Anne) A branch of the Westropp family descended from a younger brother of Mountiford Westropp of Attyflin, county Limerick. Robert Westropp of Fort Anne, county Clare, married his cousin Elizabeth Hickman of Kilmore, county Clare in 1737. Their Westropp descendants lived at Fort Anne until the end of the 19th century when the estate was inherited by their O'Callaghan of Maryfort descendants. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Robert Westropp held land in the parishes of Kilnoe and Tulla, barony of Tulla Upper and in Quin, barony of Bunratty Upper. His estate was held by the Court of Chancery and was advertised for sale in the Encumbered Estates' Court in June 1857. The sale included 1,853 acres and Fort Anne. Lands owned by Edward Swift and others in the barony of Tulla Upper were purchased in the Landed Estates Court by F.M.Westropp in May 1865. In the 1870s the representatives of the late Captain Francis Westropp owned 1,436 acres in county Clare. Over 1,600 acres in the barony of Tulla Upper, the estate of William John Harrison Moreland trustee of the will of Francis McNamara Westropp, was advertised for sale in November 1878. The sale included Fort Anne which was then the residence of William Nugent Westropp.
Browne (Kenmare) Smith states that Sir Valentine Browne was granted over 6000 acres in county Kerry after the Desmond Rebellion. Political allegiences in the seventeenth century caused the size of the estate to fluctuate. It was consolidated in the eighteenth century and the Kenmare estate amounted to over 91,000 acres in county Kerry in the 1870s as well as over 22,000 acres in county Cork and over 4000 in county Limerick. Lord Kenmare was one of the principal lessors in the parishes of Aghadoe, Aglish, Currans, Kilcredane, Kilcummin, Killarney, Killeentierna, Kilnanare, Molahiffe and Nohavaldaly in the barony of Magunihy at the time of Griffith’s Valuation. In 1822 Thomas, 3rd Earl of Kenmare, married Catherine, daughter and co heir with her sisters (two of whom were Bridget O'Reilly and Ellen Bagot) of Edmund O'Callaghan of Kilgory, county Clare. Griffith's Valuation records the Earl, James John Baggott and the Reverend Joseph O'Reilly holding an estate mainly situated in the parish of Clonlea, barony of Tulla Lower, but also in the parishes of Killuran and Tulla. The 3rd Earl was involved in the sale of Kilgory in the early 1860s. The county Limerick estate of the Earl of Kenmare was principally located in the parish of Hospital, but also in the parishes of Ballynamona and Knockainy, barony of Smallcounty. Lewis writes that the parish of Hospital was granted to Sir Valentine Browne ancestor of the Earls of Kenmare, who erected a castle. The Kenmare estate held several townlands in the parish of Kilcomoge, barony of Bantry at the time of Griffith's Valuation.
Colpoys (Ballycar) The Colpoys were originally from Hampshire, England. George Colpoys was living at Ballycar, parish of Tomfinlough, barony of Bunratty Lower, county Clare, in the mid 17th century and family members continued to live there until the late 18th century when the male line died out and the property was inherited by the family of Catherine Colpoys who married John O’Callaghan of Kilgory in 1784. Their descendants were the O’Callaghans of Maryfort. The Colpoys held Ballycar from the Earls of Thomond. Anthony Colpoys of Ballycar was made a freeman of the city of Limerick in August 1817. He died at Ballycar in 1848 aged 72. In the Limerick General Advertiser of 13 October 1812 the marriage of Thomas Abbot of St Andrews Street, Dublin and Martha Colpoys, second daughter of George Colpoys of Ballycar was reported.
O'Callaghan/O'Callaghan Westropp (Kilgory & Maryfort) The county Cork estates of the O'Callaghans were confiscated in the mid 17th century and the family settled at Mountallon, just south of O'Callaghansmills, in county Clare. In the mid 18th century they moved to Kilgorey. In 1785 Edmund O'Callaghan of Kilgory married Helen O'Brien and had four daughters who married respectively Thomas O'Reilly, the 3rd Earl of Kenmare, James Bagot and Gerald Dease. Kilgory was advertised for sale by them in the early 1860s. In May 1862, the Irish Times reports that it was purchased by Messers T. Fitzgerald and George Keogh, in trust. In 1784 John O'Callaghan married Catherine Colpoys of Ballycar, who eventually inherited Ballycar. Ballycar was advertised for sale in December 1850. George O'Callaghan of Maryfort married Mary Westropp of Fort Anne, which property came into the possession of her son John O'Callaghan. George O'Callaghan died of Famine fever on 31 Jan 1849, see inscription on his ledger MS 865 (NLI). In the 1870s Lieutenant Colonel John O'Callaghan of Maryfort owned 4,842 acres in county Clare. In November 1912 his estate was vested in the Congested Districts' Board.
O'Connell (Kilgory) Daniel O'Connell appears to have been resident at Kilgory for the last 2 decades of the 18th century. In 1835 Catherine O'Connell, widow of Daniel O'Connell of Kilgorey, died in Limerick. In the mid 19th century the O’Connell estate was mainly in the parishes of Tulla and Kilnoe, barony of Tulla Upper, county Clare. Maurice O’Connell also held land in the parish of Kilraghtis, barony of Bunratty Upper and Kilkeedy, barony of Inchiquin. In 1837 he married Emily daughter of Denis McCarthy O'Leary. In 1840 her brother Charles McCarthy O'Leary married Kate daughter of Daniel O'Connell of Kilgory. Maurice's son and successor Daniel O’Connell of Kilgory, married in 1867 Jane daughter of Carrol O'Grady, medical doctor, and owned 2,019 acres in county Clare in the 1870s. The 1901 Census records Daniel O’Connell of Kilgory, aged 58, and his wife Jane as resident at Kilgory with their son Charles and two daughters Henrietta and Jenny.
Westropp (Coolreagh) Ralph Westropp, Mayor of Limerick 1800-1801, third son of Ralph Westropp of Lismehane (Mary Fort, Fortane), parish of Tulla, county Clare, and Attyflin, county Limerick, bought Coolreagh, parish of Kilnoe, barony of Tulla Upper, from the O’Briens. In 1795 he married Harriet Vereker, sister of the 2nd Viscount Gort and they had two sons Ralph and John and three daughters. Their eldest son Ralph Westropp of Monkstown, county Dublin, died unmarried in 1883 and left his estates comprised of 2,352 acres in 1878, to his sister Mary Stamer's grandson George O’Callaghan, who in 1885 assumed the additional surname of Westropp. The main part of Ralph Westropp’s estate was in the parish of Kilnoe but he also held land in the parishes of Kilmihil, barony of Clonderalaw, Kilmacduane and Moyarta, barony of Moyarta. It is likely that the Smyth Bloods of Castlefergus, parish of Doora, barony of Bunratty Upper, held their estate from him. In 1852 Ralph Westropp's nephew Ralph Westropp junior of St Catherines married Catherine O'Callaghan of Maryfort. In the 1870s the representatives of Ralph Westropp junior owned 1,784 acres in county Clare.
O'Callaghan (Ballinahinch) Weir writes that Ballinahinch, parish of Kilnoe, county Clare, belonged to the O'Callaghans from the 17th century. Cornelius O'Callaghan, fourth son of Cornelius O'Callaghan of Kilgory, lived at Ballinahinch from the beginning of the 19th century. His son Charles G. O'Callaghan held the property in fee at the time of Griffith's Valuation. Charles George O'Callaghan owned a large estate at this time, located mainly in the parishes of Quin and Templemaley, barony of Bunratty Upper and Tulla, barony of Tulla Upper, but also including land in the baronies of Inchiquin and Tulla Lower. In the 1870s C. G. O'Callaghan of Ballinahinch owned over 8,000 acres in county Clare.