Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Massy (Doonass)

Family title

Baronet


Estate(s)

Name Description
Bentley (Hurdleston) The ancestors of the Bentleys received land in county Clare under the Cromwellian settlement of the mid 17th century and came to live at Broadford before the beginning of the 18th century. Pat O'Brien gives a detailed history of the family in his article in ''The Other Clare''. At the time of Griffith's Valuation the Bentley estate was in the parishes of Killokennedy and Kilseily, barony of Tulla Lower. Much of their estate was held from Sir John Dillon Massy. This is evident from the sale rental of the Dillon Massy Broadford estate in November 1858. In the 1870s the Bentley estate was comprised of 2,497 acres. Family members continued to reside at Hurdleston until 1952 when Digby Bentley died.
Massy (Doonass) The Reverend Charles Massy, Dean of Limerick, was a younger brother of Hugh, Baron Massy. He married Grace, daughter of Sir John Dillon of Lismullen, county Meath and they had a son, Hugh Dillon Massy, who was created Baronet Massy of Doonass in 1782. He married Elizabeth Stacpoole of Cragbrien, county Clare and had two sons, Hugh and the Reverend Charles who married Mary Anne Ross Lewin in 1796. Their son, Hugh Dillon, succeeded his uncle as 3rd Baronet in 1842. In 1818 Hugh Dillon Massy married Mary J. Westropp. At the time of Griffith's Valuation the estate of Sir Hugh Dillon Massy, 3rd Baronet was mainly in the parishes of Kilseily and Kiltenanlea, barony of Tulla Lower, county Clare. He also held land in the parishes of Killokennedy and Killuran. In November 1858 approximately 6,000 acres known as the Broadford estate and 5,000 acres known as the Doonass estate were advertised for sale in the Encumbered Estates' Court. In the 1870s Lady Mary Dillon Massy of Doonass owned 4,625 acres in county Clare.
Vincent (Summerhill) The Vincents of county Clare were a branch of the Limerick family of that name. Burke's Landed Gentry (1958) records John Vincent of Limerick and Erinagh, county Clare, acquiring the lands of Trough and Knockdonagh, county Clare from John Ormsby of London in 1770. In 1783, Arthur Vincent, son of John Vincent of Limerick. married Mary, daughter of Berkeley Westropp. George Vincent of Errina and Berkeley Vincent of Summerhill were their sons. At the time of Griffith's Valuation George Vincent held land in the parishes of Clonkeen and Kilmurry, barony of Clanwilliam, county Limerick. At the same time George Vincent and his sons held land in the parishes of Kilmeen, barony of Duhallow and Donaghmore, barony of East Muskerry, county Cork. In the 1870s George Vincent of Erina owned 237 acres and Arthur Vincent of Shanagolden owned 267 acres in county Limerick, while Berkeley Vincent of Summer Hill, Castleconnell, owned 134 acres in county Clare, 121 acres in county Cork and 601 acres in county Tipperary. The Ordnance Survey Name Books note that Arthur Vincent held land in the parish of Emly, barony of Clanwilliam, county Tipperary, from the Archbishop of Cashel. George Vincent held townlands there at the time of Griffith's Valuation, while John Vincent held land in the parishes of Clogher, barony of Kilnamanagh Lower and Kilruane, barony of Upper Ormond. The estate of John Vincent and his wife Catherine Hickman Vincent, Elizabeth Hickman Roe and William Humphreys, at Rapla (South) and South Hill was advertised for sale in May 1855. In the 1870s C.J.George Vincent of Dublin owned 605 acres, John Vincent of Millgrove House, Rathangan, owned 514 acres, John A. Vincent of Dublin owned 583 acres and Marshall C. Vincent of Rathangan owned 524 acres, all in county Tipperary. George Vincent of Dublin also owned 702 acres in county Cork. The estate of John Vincent, trustee of the will of Westby Percival, at Ballyspellane North, barony of Lower Ormond, was advertised for sale in January 1863. Ballyspellane North was in the possession of Margaret Perswell [Percival] at the time of Griffith's Valuation.
Wallplate (Elm Hill & Castleconnell) In May 1860 the estate of female members of the Wallplate family was advertised for sale in the Landed Estate's Court. The sale included premises in Castleconnell, county Limerick, adjoining the Spa, Grange House (residence of Edward Gonne Bell), Lock Mills in the city of Limerick and Elm Hill on about 57 acres in the barony of Tulla, county Clare. The Wallplate property was held from the Dillon Massys. The ''Limerick Herald and Advertiser'' of 26 October 1789 records the marriage of Mr Joseph Wallplate and Miss Henrietta Bridgeman daughter of Henry Bridgeman of Doonass and at the time of Griffith's Valuation another Joseph Walplate held land in the parish of Stradbally, barony of Clanwilliam, county Limerick and in the parish of Castletownarra, barony of Owney and Arra, county Tipperary from George Westropp.